1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Youth soccer referee dies after attack

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, May 5, 2013.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, you would want to include that caveat.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Aw, I'm not as neutral as all that, but I try to be fair, occasionally reasonable, and to want the facts to back up my opinions. I'm sure that a pattern will emerge, but I can give you the thumbnail demographics, for what it's worth.

Late 50's, White Male, born in Tampa, grew up in Atlanta, moved to Houston and now residing in Birmingham, Al. Medical Technical degree. Pretty much a generic Suhthern boy. My daddy was a Major in the Army, an infantry company commander in Normandy in WW2. My people were mostly Georgia dirt farmers well back into the early 1800's. I can claim ancestors on both sides of the Civil War, and on my mother (the DAR's) side I can get to Major Prescott, one of the two guys on Breed's Hill that are reputed to have said "don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes".

Politically something of a mix, conservative on defense, liberal on social issues, with a growing impatience with a Congress that has made compromise a dirty word. How the hell do you run a democracy without compromise? If both sides leave the table feeling vaguely screwed it was probably a fair deal.

OOP, watch all you want, you can't catch me being someone else, 'cause I'm just not. It's cool.

I'd add that it is very difficult for me to prove a negative...

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, NC. Not that it'll have any impact, but at least it's out there. And let's hope ALL of your posts from this day forward aren't so long-winded. :)

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One doesn't pass 35,000 posts and lead the league in "times caused a thread to be locked" by staying silent, on anything. :D

5. Neutral Corner

>grin<

They won't be.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, we just wanted to give him the opportunity to make his point with a seventh post about it ....

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, I gave myself the opportunity to make it again. Unlike some hypocrites around here, I don't say I'm done talking about something forever and then pop back on an hour later. (This was not directed at you, shot. I don't remember if you have done that. Just mentioning that some posters do it on this site.)

8. Neutral Corner

Right. To be fair, since I first jumped into SJ at post 98 of this thread, I have come to find out that I was a victim of my own ignorance of procedure on the other board. Lack of locked posts there does not indicate a lower level of conflict, but rather that the Mods there don't lock offending threads, they delete them.

I do see that it happened and the difference in how moderation was handled between the two boards. Mea culpa, it was a misconception on my part that no locked threads there meant less conflict instead of the offending thread being deleted, simple ignorance on my part... but I still submit that the level of sheer poisonous abuse tolerated is lower on that board. OTOH, I never meant to imply that there was no conflict or verbal abuse there, let alone that folks sang Kum-Ba-Ya in ten part harmony.

I meant, and mean, no offense to the mods of either board. They do a thankless job that I want no part of, and how they choose to do it is above my pay grade. Basically, all I set out to do was to call for the posters to dial back the level of venom.

Naive, yah. Children's Crusade, probably. However, if no one says anything then it stays the unexamined norm. I'm not a journalist. Nothing I say is going to have any bearing on my job or reputation in the field, so the worst I face is a flaming on an internet chat board. I can deal with that if it comes around, but I'd prefer to keep it civil. If it isn't, well... Gabriel Kaplan set forth the rules for smack talk and playing the dozens - and the only rule is "no dead relatives".

Since the dead horse is well and truly beaten deep into the ground, I'll drop the subject. I just figured that if I was going to point out the offenses of others I owed it to you to point out my own error.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted