1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Youth football shame

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/03/AR2006110301819.html?nav=hcmodule

The South County Raptors, a scrappy football team made up of 12- to 14-year-old boys from southern Fairfax County, were supposed to meet the Herndon Hornets today in the first round of the county playoffs.

Instead, the Raptors are at home, their season over with no possibility of a championship after a league commissioner fired the head coach and the assistant coach this week. Their offense? They moved the commissioner's son from defense to offense for the final game of the season last Saturday, an overtime win that put the Raptors in the postseason.

"Scott does not sit out on defense -- ever," the commissioner, Dan Hinkle, had warned the head coach, James Owens, in an e-mail sent before the season began about how he should play Hinkle's son, 12. On defense, the father said, "he goes in and stays in. That includes all practices, scrimmages and games. This entire league exists so he can play defense on the best team in his weight class. . . . He is my son, I own the league, and he plays every snap on defense."

The league: http://www.southcountyyouth.org/

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Give him this, at least he doesn't put up the pretense of giving a flying fuck about anybody but himself.

I'm glad I don't work at a weekly in Fairfax, I'm sure I would have told him off something fierce by now.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The old man's gonna be some pissed off when son says, "Fuck Football. Oh, and dad, I'm gay".

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

JR, why do you hate the grand American tradition of parents living out their failed sports dreams through their kids? :D

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I guess as a parent, the other thing that comes to mind is, "Why would anyone let their son play in that asshole's league?"

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because, as our friend Lyman has pointed out, I'm an anti-American asshole. :)

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I think Snoop should challenge this guy -- his league all-stars against Snoops'.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately that's THE league in that area. What can you do? Those kids were just unfortunate enough that out of thousands of others, they had to play on his kid's team. His son seems a thousand times better than his miserable ass.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Dan Hinkle, Marv Marinovich. Marv, meet Dan Hinkle.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

How about: "Dad, I think I'd rather be a cheerleader."

As for the original topic. Wow. Just wow.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think there is more to this story. Like maybe terrorists attached a microchip into his kid's brain, and -- like Dennis Hopper told Keanu Reeves in Speed -- if he didn't play on defense, he would die. Or turn gay. You didn't blame Keanu, did you? Blame the terrorists.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Here, I think, it the best thing about the story - the kids have learned something important already:

The commissioner offered to hire a new coach, but the boys would play only for Owens.

Draft saved Draft deleted