1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Youth Baseball: Batting Gloves or No Batting Gloves

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, May 6, 2012.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

While I'd want the kid to Keep Pounding the ball, involving cancer is not what I - or anyone else - had in mind.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They need to learn to hit it like Keith Hernandez.

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

This coach reminds me of my power-tripping youth coaches who used to raise holy hell with us if we went swimming during the days we'd have 6 p.m. games. Their argument: swimming would make us 10-year-olds too tired to play well.

I was quite aware that he was shoveling a load of shit in my general direction because he wanted to show his authority. So I'd dare him to bench me by showing up for batting practice smelling like chlorine and Coppertone.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

May be just me, but when I was 10 the last thing I thought about or worried about was my power being down. My buddies and I were too engrossed in throwing rocks across a pond and generally having fun as far away from adults as possible.

Back on topic -- if the kid likes a glove, he should wear a glove. Just nod his head politely at the coach and go about his business.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just say to the coach,

"With all due respect, how many fucking batters in the fucking major leagues do not wear fucking batting gloves, you fucking idiot? Capiche, Kemosabe?"

Now, batting gloves that don't fit -- well, that's a whole different deal.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Thanks for the words on this.

This may seem trivial (the whole batting gloves issue) but this is a high-level team and he is trying to hang in. When you have a respectful kid, it isn't always easy for them to stand up for themselves at times... even over something like batting gloves.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Could the problem be related to him skipping a year of development, which I assume means he's playing above his age group but maybe he shouldn't be? That would seem to be a more likely explanation than batting gloves.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i coach my daughter's 14U asa team. at least half of the girls on that team are better than their 14-year-old male counterparts, who practice on the next field.

that was an idiotic statement, champ.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Would it be OK if he said batting gloves are for"homos' or "fags"? Of course not, so why should it be OK to teach an impressionable kid that's OK to demean women?

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

They come in very handy for kids who have to play in cold weather early - or late - in the season like Huggy Jr. He wears them at the plate and as his team's catcher wears one in the field under his glove, something I never got comfortable doing behind the plate.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Batting gloves are for girls? What a ridiculous thing to say.

My oldest is six and every single kid on his team wears one, and probably half wear two. Do they need them? Probably not, but what's the downside to wearing them?

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Have him use pinetar instead. [george brett]

Draft saved Draft deleted