1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yourhighness ... no, seriously, that's the kids name

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Nov 5, 2007.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Ms Flash,

My daughter has a teacher named Mr Butts. I'll have to ask her about the first name.

My classmate in Grade 5 was Harry Cox.

My two friends in high school, classmates, were George Chris and Chris George.

I was always pulling for a Russian kid named Alexander Polushin to make it (he'd be a biohazard in the corners).

Hockey being hockey, no one could talk about Corey Pecker without cracking up.

YHS, etc

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Former Syracuse forward Keith Duany had a sister named Duany Duany.

3. doctor x

doctor x Member

White parents are national champions of giving their children the same names as other white parents -- but making up all manner of cockeyed spellings so as to be "unique." Also gives them an excuse to bitch at newspaper when writer doesn't just instinctively know that it's "Jaysone" and not Jason or "Kymburleigh" and not Kimberly.

On another note, I can remember growing up that some poked fun at black children being given names of often-obsure Old Testament figures -- only to have white parents years later find their inspiration in children's names not from the Bible or great literature, but from television shows, especially soaps.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's true. My mom wanted to name me Jesus' Moonbeam, but my dad thought it was ridiculous.

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Early 1980s, athlete in western Kansas, last name of Trail. First name — Dusty.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I was playing a PS2 baseball game with a friend in college without a thorough knowledge of the Indians roster.

Coco Crisp comes to the plate and I go "What the hell? They didn't know the guys name so they just made up 'Coco Crisp'?? Lame!"

Then Milton Bradly came up next and I almost tried to return the damn game.

7. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Western Kansas parents = easily the stupidest in the world when it comes to "clever" or "original" names. I don't know how many ridiculous misspellings and spinoffs of the name Haley exist, but I'm sure I've seen them all.

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Last season, within our coverage area, there was a Princess.

On another team across the county, there was a Jewelry.

Same team as Jewelry, there was a Quanedra. (Of course, she just went by Peanut, which made me smile.)

But my favorite area name does not belong to a player. Nope, chalk it up to a jovial, somewhat overweight white athletics director in his early 40s. Jimmy Hendricks.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

10. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

Former Northeastern Oklahoma A&M and Missouri Southern QB/S Kokaine Mothershed.

11. doctor x

doctor x Member

Have written about a cross country runner with the last name of Overfield and another who was named Crystal Beveridge.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

So that's where that comes from. I had no idea.

And may I add Shadrack Kiptoo, a cross country runner at Oregon. One of the few names that ever reminded me of a Beastie Boys song lyric.

Draft saved Draft deleted