1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're with me, Dilfer! — Berman to call 2nd MNF game of opening week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 27, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I remember the first time they had this doubleheader -- the lineup for this game was Vermeil, Jaws and Brad Nessler. They were tremendous. They made a 27-0 blowout interesting. It just so happened that the first game that night was the debut of Kornheiser, with Theismann of course, and that group was awful on its way to becoming unwatchable. There were a lot of critical appraisals at the time saying they should just switch the groups.

At that point, I think ESPN decided they'd just intentionally put a horsecrap announcing team together for this once-a-year game so they wouldn't embarrass their #1 group like that.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They are doing that with the NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus). I watch that network more than I do ESPN because they have the events I want to see.

Of course, with the length of certain network TV deals, it will take a few years before they can acquire certain other rights.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And there's allegedly a podcast out there which tries to make it appear Ethel Merman B was shocked, shocked, I tell you, at the very idea.

Looks like another going-away present for the Bermanster.

This smells as much as that amazing recent swelling in Twitter followers for that idol of stage and screens, Danny Sheridan/Shecter. Oh, yeah, we believe it. Sure.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've finally found an NFL game you couldn't pay me to watch.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

So what ESPN is telling me by doing this is, "Go ahead and listen to the Westwood One broadcast."

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Whatever the O/U is on the number of times Berman says "Tha Rayyyyydazzzzzz" I'll take the over.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Seriously - is there anyone who hears this news, and is happy?

It can't be random luck that every single group or person I encounter hates Berman.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't hate Berman. I find him a bit entertaining. Not sure about him as a play by play guy, but as a studio host, he's better than the ones at CBS and Fox.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Fortunately, we get both Raiders and Chargers radio broadcasts where I live. Hopefully they will be in sync with the pictures on TV.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Okay, thats one.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mark likes Berman more than he likes James Brown and Curt Menefee? Color me shocked.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Can't stand Berman, but I really enjoy Dilfer's takes on NFL players. Seriously, I do.

Draft saved Draft deleted