1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're special to me ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

When I heard the news of Ron Drogo's (aka spnited's) passing last night, I was heartbroken.

This morning, I'm still as heartbroken and wishing I'd taken the time to let him know how much I appreciated him.

I appreciated his insight, his ability to cut right through the BS, his bluntness, even his dislike of fantasy sports. There were times his posts, some directed to me - some not, made my day in the real world that much better.

And now I can never tell him that.

So, before this day goes any further, I want to thank all of you and let you know - you all mean a lot to me. Through the years, this place has become a very special place for me, even though there are times it aggravates me to no end. Which, come to think of it, isn't much different than my real life. :)

I love you guys.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You too, mom!

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Y'all are going to make it dusty in here. I never knew spnited's real name. I just found out it was him that passed away.

I know he and I had our arguments (a lot of them), but damn, I'm going to miss his presence around here. I know we all will.

Wonderful sentiments, Rosie. I very much agree.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

It wasn't until clicking this thread I learned of spnited's true identity -- like unmasking a superhero only after his death. And he was a superhero of sorts, to us anyway. Never knew him personally, but it sounds as if I was worse off because of it.

RIP, spnited.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You folks are my last links to my former life. I cherish all of you, even in your most wrongheaded and borderline insane moments. Take care, each and every one.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

People can rip this place all they want, and we are what they say we are. We are bitter, and we are judgmental, and we are mean. But we are kind, and we are loving. And we are a family, on some level.

I have met boyfriends, lifelong friends, and employers through this board. My life is better for having gotten to know all of you, and anyone who doesn't understand why I'd travel to Seattle to drink with a bunch of people I'd never met just doesn't get it.

I love you all.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I didn't know about the passing until opening this thread. At first, I thought it was one of our sick jokes. I didn't really know anything about Spnited except for we made a lot of old jokes about him and of course we called him crotchety.

But he was one of the few board members who knew about track. He always had awesome insight about track and even when he got angry or disagreed with people he never got personal. It will be weird without him around.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This place will always be like an extended family to me. I guess that's why the news this morning hit me especially hard.

I only met Ron once, but I've been on this board for seven years. I know when I go to work today people will look at me strange when I tell them a friend of mine on a message board has passed away. But you guys get it.

Love all around.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ron-nited's passing sure drives home what YGBFKM pointed out on the obit thread. That life is just too short to worry about petty things and to nurse hurts. Time can always run out.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

For me to try and pretend I knew Ron the way some of you in NYNJSportsJournalists.com is a joke. But I did get to see him at a couple of outings, and I can tell you he went out of his way one day to meet up in Manhattan during one of my odd treks to civilization. Always full of life, always with an encouraging word ... yet not a trace of BS. That last component is more important to me than many of you know. And, while a kind soul, he took no crap from some who think their handles and access to this board equates to a bully pulpit.

Rosie, don't stop sending people to their rooms. Like Ron, you do it primarily because you care.

FJ, do you have some Toronto photos to share? I know you had more than your share of superb pics.

And to IJAG, FJ, Rosie and everyone else: This place is a family. I lean on it and get far more than I give. I'm sorry about that, but I appreciate it more than I can possibly express.

Now that I've indulged in more selfishness, back to more important topics. Like Ron.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Make sure someone you care about knows that. It seems that whenever someone passes we remember that, but then go on with our lives not too long afterward.

I lurk much more than I post, but do value the SJ board.

Draft saved Draft deleted