1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're Ryan Howard ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It pains me to say it – especially considering few things piss me off like the use of performance enhancers – but Sosa and McGuire did not do anythign that was considered illeagal at the time in baseball, and if it meant a run at history and millions of dollars finding a way into their pockets I can understand why they did it. I don't agree with them or sympathise with them, but I understand them. Myself, I would never use performance enhancers for the fact I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror, and the last thing I need is for my nuts to shrink.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Even without the chase (say, if the HR leader ends up with 52 or something), 1998 would have been a magical year for baseball that would have "made it exciting for John Q. Public," reviving the game to close to pre-strike levels.

The chase, indeed, catapulted the game far past those levels at the time. But it was still just three years since the strike ended. Nobody realistically expected it to be as exciting as, say, the 1993 season so quickly. I'd say Ripken's streak did more than the chase to "revive" the game at its lowest point. If it wasn't the chase, it would have been something else to bring the game a little higher (ex: Ichiro, three years later.)

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Thanks, Satchel Pooch.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

More importantly, it wasn't AGAINST THE LAW, either, assuming you are just talking about Androstenedione.

Bonds' stuff is.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't believe for a second that Andro was the only thing McGwire was on.

And again, for those of you who apparently haven't read this, Major League Baseball banned the use of "controlled substances." Steroids and other PEDs are "controlled substances." Therefore, Steroids and PEDs were banned by baseball. MLB was just dickless enough not to test for them. They had to be caught red-handed and, even then, I believe they would have only had to enter the league's substance abuse program.

And let's be honest here, if they weren't "illegal" and there was no problem with taking steroids, every player would have been shooting up as part of his pre-game routine. But they all knew it was cheating and that's why it was done behind closed doors. Defend it all you want. It was cheating.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

we need to see pics of howard as a younger guy next to pics of him today just like the bonds side-by-side comparisons.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I didn't say it wasn't cheating, it was just cheating within the rules at the time. Absolutely either way it was unethical which is why I think most players with a conscience didn't use andro.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Why then do certain TV people need to say he's a rookie?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whitlock is Ryan Howard.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

How do you know?

Draft saved Draft deleted