1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're Ryan Howard ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

True dat.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Make that 53. Anything Albert can do, Ryan can do better. Pujols homered earlier, so Howard matched him.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, except for the fact that McGwire only hit nine home runs in <a href="http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Imcgwm0010021987.htm">September 1987</a> and Justice only hit nine homers in <a href="http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Ijustd0010021990.htm">September 1990</a> and Tony Clark only hit nine in <a href="http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Iclart0020021996.htm">September 1996</a>. (Can't look up Ted Williams splits yet.)

If you want to get technical, Pete Incaviglia only hit nine in September 1986 (although he did add another on Oct. 5. ... None of the previous three hit any October homers in those years.)

Where did you get that stat?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, buckw, you must have some time on your hands if you went to the trouble of bird-dogging those stats. What prompted you to want to disprove him?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, it took about 2 minutes. Retrosheet is god!

And my first thought was about Shane Spencer -- I wasn't sure if he was on the list, too. Turns out no. (Spencer hit 8 in Sept. '98). Then it turned out that Justice didn't hit 10, either. And so on ...

No biggie.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

If I'm Howard I'm a little miffed that my chase of 61 is lost because of McGuire, Sosa, Bonds, but then I cheer up because I know My bank account iis about to grow by millions, and millions, and millions.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That does seriously suck (the chase being lost, not the millions). I saw he had 52 homers and thought, "Wow, he's having a heck of a nice season." Then I thought about the fact that he was 10 away from 62 and realized how big of a deal this would be if not for the FRAUDS! who came before him.

8. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

\

That's kind of awesome. Pretty creative idea.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The one thing I would caution though, is that these are the same frauds many have credited with saving baseball. and although they may have been aided by chemicals, that is what they did.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

They didn't save shit. Baseball never needed "saving." It needed a PR boost, sure, but it didn't need "saving." I've never understood that premise.

(No offense to you, Beef. You said "many have credited." I just hate the "many" who make that argument.)

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Beef, I understand your point, but you're basically saying the ends justify the means. That's not an argument I agree with in regards to performance enhancers.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I believe the premise comes from the fact Major League Baseball had never come close to bouncing back to pre-strike levels prior to 1998. Although tainted now, it was hard not to get caught up in the magic that the chase caused. The chase made baseball front page news again across the country, especially during the fall when the NFL usually starts to dominate once again.

I don't think baseball was ever going to die, but it certainly did breathe new life into the league, it made it exciting again for Joe Q Public.

Draft saved Draft deleted