1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're not getting Alex Rios' autograph

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 6, 2009.

1. lol. My dad always used to call him round-tripper kipper for all the home run balls he served up.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That wasn't his real nickname? :)

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Speaking of autographs, I remember hearing a story from Babe Ruth's daughter where she said the only time her father was ever rude to an autograph seeker was when someone asked him to sign right after Lou Gehrig's funeral.

She said the Babe just looked at the guy, and walked away.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What makes it funny? That's a very sad story. Guy loses his girlfriend, brother and dog. Still trying to see anything funny.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm thinking 'funny' odd, not 'funny' ha-ha.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

His final years on the PGA Tour were marred by mental illness that that made it difficult for Green to concentrate while playing and led him to the verge of suicide. Now 50, Green has since spoken publicly about his ordeal.

Maybe puts his actions at the '90 GHO and elsewhere into a different light.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Howja' like to be the State Trooper or doctor or whomever that gets to tell him, "yeah, your brother and girlfriend are gone?" You couldn't pay me enough to do that. Golf Channel (I think) did a story on him a few years back. Guy's been to hell and back, took the right steps and looked like he'd finally locked the demons in a car trunk for good...now this. Life just ain't fair.

Draft saved Draft deleted