1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're not getting Alex Rios' autograph

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Get blown off by a baseball player who won't sign an autograph?

Put it on youtube:

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

My immediate response would be "who's Alex Rios?"

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, my Dad would have had a field day with Mike Boddicker in 1988!!!!

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The 13-year-old me just gave Gary Payton the finger and doesn't know why.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine once tried to get Roy Smalley's autograph back when he played for the Twins, and Smalley said something about being in a hurry, then got in his car and started reading the newspaper.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm OK with Alex Rios telling that guy to fuck off. I don't see why the guy who's not famous gets to yell insults at a guy out on the street just because the guy wouldn't give an autograph. That guy's an asshole for his act as much as Alex Rios is for his.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Ken Green blew me off at the '90 GHO, and hasn't won since. Serves him right.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not just that, but among the first things you hear the guy say to Rios is, "Will you speak to me, Alex? You're lucky someone wants your autograph," which I would take as a swipe at Rios' play (he struck out five times Thursday against the Angels). Not the best way to convince someone to sign an autograph.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

i have a rios rookie card somewhere. wonder if he would sign that?

10. KP

KP Active Member

Just don't ask Don Baylor to sign a Yankee card.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In the early 80s, I went to a Mets game and was among a group of kids asking Padres players for their autograph from the front row of the stands. Dave Dravecky walks over, tells us, "I'm sorry, I don't have time today to sign, but I promised this one little girl an autograph earlier, and I'll give it to her." And he signed her ball.

I remember being annoyed that he didn't sign for anyone else, but was also thinking he was pretty cool for remembering the one kid.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Sorry, but if I'm not mistaken, no one other than Alex Rios swears in that clip. Ticked off or not, ball player or garbage man, you just don't carpet F-Bomb in front of a kid. Not cool.

I'm not saying the grown man fan is any better for goading Rios, but come on, you don't rattle off a profanity-laced tirade in front of a kid, no matter who you are or what you do for a living.

Draft saved Draft deleted