1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're Fired/You're Hired - the record?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just because I don't understand 88 percent of it doesn't mean it isn't major!!

Great quote from an AD I once covered about a soccer coach who was being a pain in the ass.

Me: Is a good enough coach to be worth this headache?
    Him: Hell, I don't know. Every time I see a goal scored in soccer, it looks like an accident.

Kind of like me with my hockey knowledge. I love to watch it but I don't know what the hell is going on all the time. Or most of the time.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wasn't Billy fired from the Yankees and rehired for the following season within a few days?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Might of?

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Ray Rhodes: Fired by the Eagles on December 28, 1998 ... Hired by the Packers on January 11, 1999 ... Fired by the Packers on January 3, 2000.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Is George O'Leary the leader of the opposite thread... Hired and Fired by the Domers within a day or two.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know if it was a firing, but Bobby Ross left the Chargers in the middle of a feud with the G.M. and immediately surfaced with the Lions.

Also, not fired/hired so it doesn't answer the question (so why the hell am I posting it?), but didn't the O's fire Davey Johnson the same day he was named manager of the year?

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Forced out in 1978 ("one's a born liar, the other's convicted), announced as the manager in 1980 a few days later, pushed into service midway through 1979 when Bob Lemon was fired, then fired himself after the 1979 season and a losing fistfight with a marshmallow salesman. He kinda set a record by being hired for the 1980 season, then getting fired from that job the year before.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

ESPN just showed a graphic: The previous record for shortest time between NHL gigs was held by Roger Nielsen (14 days) in 1983-84.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks. Glad ESPN is checking the board.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think Maryland fired Ralph Friedgen before he was named ACC coach of the year.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

YES, Peter "The DoucheBag" Angelos fired Davey Johnson the day he was named manager of the year.

Fridge fired before the announcement. Fridge 9-4 in his last season, Edsall, 2-10 in his first. That has to be the record for something. Besides the worst AD in the history of organized sports

Draft saved Draft deleted