1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're Fired/You're Hired - the record?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Someone look this up for me, please.
    What is the shortest time a coach/manager has gone from being fired to hired? Bruce Boudreau going to the Ducks in about 20 minutes makes me wonder. So quick my guess is when McPhee told him he said, "OK, can you take me to the airport? I need to get to the other coast."

It was about 60 hours between announcements, though clearly the deal was done much faster.

So let's say that was two days.

Anything quicker among the major sports? And don't even think about coming on here with a "hockey is a major sport?" wisecrack. Not funny. And yes, hockey IS a major sport.

We thank you in advance.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Does Ozzie count?

It was sort of pre-arranged, but he went from the Sox to the Marlins quickly.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

In the summer of 1992, Pat Burns resigned as head coach of the Montreal Canadiens and took the job in Toronto the same day.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Your question reminds me of my all-time favorite line in all of sports.

In 1981 when Ted Turner fired Bobby Cox as manager of the Braves, he was asked who would replace him. Turner said something like, "It would be Bobby Cox if I hadn't just fired him."

(Cox was immediately hired by Toronto... don't know how immediate that was, though, Moddy.)

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I'm not really sure, but Elliotte Friedman tweeted that it might have been Pat Burns from Montreal to Toronto.

Other than that, I can't really think of anyone.

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Sniped.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Burns is quick - but that was a resignation and not a firing. Boudreau woke up Monday as coach of the Caps and was fired - and may have gone to bed as coach of the Ducks.

Fired to hired, that's what I want to know.

Was Ozzie fired? I can't recall.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think it's hard to define:

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Leo Durocher wasn't getting along with Branch Rickey, so the two of them and Horace Stoneham reached a deal where Durocher would jump from the Dodgers to the archrival Giants, all within a few days in 1948.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not sure of the dates but Billy Martin's shift from fired Tigers manager to hired Rangers manager took only a day or two.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It wouldn't surprise me if the answer is a hockey coach. It seems like one non-stop revolving door at times...

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good to see that Moddy has the puckheads' backs on this.

Draft saved Draft deleted