1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're an Olympian in Beijing? We tell you how to think

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Apr 10, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article3724308.ece

Want to bet Sydney or Athens have been discreetly asked if they can host?

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Mr. Rogge, for opening the doors to nations boycotting.
    You're no better than the Chinese leadership, jackass.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, I don't mind this. The Chinese made a promise to the IOC about human rights, they failed it.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

About the only way these Olympics could be a bigger train wreck is if Max Mosley is chosen to light the torch!

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I don't remember where I heard it, but Los Angeles is supposedly the stand-by option.
    The U.S. is also the backup plan if the wheels fall off the World Cup in South Africa.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I would laugh my asssssss off if China got snubbed for the US at the last second.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This whole mess just gets worse by the day.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I could see how the World Cup could shift logistically at short notice, since it happens in June and July and our soccer venues (which for the Cup would be large football stadiums) would be free.

But the Olympics? That would be a nightmare that would be tough to work out in three years, not to mention three months. Unless the IOC already has venues booked just in case.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd assume there's a short list of cities that could host on a few months notice. It's the prudent thing to do, in case of civil unrest, war, natural disaster, etc.
    Off the top of my head, Los Angeles (large city, lots of hotel space, past experience hosting, lots of available venues), Athens and Sydney (recent hosts with new venues and experience handling the games) would be logical backup plans.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I wondered about Los Angeles myself.

It has many venues for just about anything: basketball, soccer, gymnastics, weightlifting, etc. But where would they hold track and field?

11. markvid

markvid Guest

At the Coliseum like 1984, no?

12. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

They renovated a couple of years ago. The seats cover the track area.

Draft saved Draft deleted