1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your weekly Jameis Winston controversy/allegation update: point shaving?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston has been cleared in his Code of Conduct case at the university and will not face discipline, according to USA Today.

From the ruling by retired Florida State Supreme Court Chief Justice Major Harding:

"This was a complex case, and I worked hard to make sure both parties had a full and fair opportunity to present information. In sum, the preponderance of the evidence has not shown that you are responsible for any of the charge violations of the Code. Namely, I find that the evidence before me is insufficient to satisfy the burden of proof."

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/21/jameis-winston-florida-state-conduct-case-cleared

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was an incredibly fair and well-balanced set of proceedings (wink-wink).

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

But really, what else could be done? The school chose an outside arbiter without ties to the university (which is not how these things are done and had Winston's camp questioning the process, but the school recognized no matter what it did it would face criticism), one which was agreed upon by both counsels. I don't think this outcome is surprising to anyone who is familiar with the timeline or the state attorney's report. I know that's not a popular view at large, judging by reaction over the past year, because he has become an easy person to dislike (oddly similar to the perception of Southern fraternities at UVa, perhaps. We know how that's going).

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

At least it was visited, given a day in "court," regardless of what we think of the methodology or the result. That's more than is done in some similar cases.

I don't think Winston is a rocket scientist, but I'm done hating for a while. He's an immature kid, but he's an immature kid with unbelievable talent, and that's what I want to enjoy.

FileNotFound likes this.
  5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Might as well, David Cornwell already blasted her name out on Twitter for all to see.

Draft saved Draft deleted