1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your weekly Jameis Winston controversy/allegation update: point shaving?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 6, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Of course it's dirty. Doesn't mean you should make every leap to make our "heroes" look bad. Don't think anyone here is arguing he is a Rhodes Scholar. But he's not as dumb as some people believe.

And where is this "exploratory" major stuff coming from? Is he not a social sciences major minoring in business?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000364477/article/jameis-winston-hints-about-future-at-florida-state

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jameis Winston according to FSU website:

http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209574459

PERSONAL: Son of Antonor and Loretta Winston…member of the 3.0 GPA Club at FSU (Spring 2013)…exploratory major…born on January 6, 1994.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If the school was cutting corners so he could maintain his eligibility, that might make sense. He doesn't have to "earn" academic honors to play football.

Also, it is absolutely possible for a student to earn legitimate good grades and struggle on a standardized test. It could be that the schools are not particularly demanding, which is one reason standardized tests are used by colleges in the first place. Some students just don't handle those test environment well, but in the day-to-day classroom, they have no trouble.

Of course, even if he isn't very bright, that doesn't prove that he shaved points. Nothing presented to this point is worthy even of an accusation, but that never stops certain folks around here. Is he capable of doing something that stupid and dishonest? Absolutely. He has shown bad judgement time and again. That doesn't mean he is automatically guilty just because somebody decided to make an accusation.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And not to mention the long-held idea that standardized tests have a racial bias. Though I'm pretty sure I don't want to go there at this point. :)

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably not, but the overall point stands. It is absolutely possible for a 3.95 GPA and 18 ACT score to go together. To be fair, LTL did leave open the possibility that the school was "full of dumb shits."

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Winston is just entering his junior year. Because students don't typically declare a major during frosh or sophomore years, not sure why declaring "exploratory" is an issue or unusual. It's more or less analogous with being "undeclared," except I am pretty certain that is no longer an option in Florida's public universities.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Right. Most kids don't declare until their junior years unless they are dead set on something. And the nfl.com article referring to him as a social sciences major/business minor is being conveniently ignored. Though I can't find any corroboration, so must be bogus. Not sue why his football bio doesn't have that info.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Despite the volumes written on Winston. I couldn't find a final act score.

I did find a fan rant that complained winston's test proctor was a Florida state grad and that was the only way to explain his 15 point score increase.

I also found several articles that said Winston was academically admitted to Stanford based on grades and test scores. And typically that would require a 4.0 and an act in the lower 30s

Fifteen points better would be 33.

But that's just pure guesswork based on the time I spent in a comfy chair at belk's while she shopped.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

But everyone knows it's easy to get into Stanford if you're a great football player.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Personally, when I say that Jameis is stupid, I'm not referring to his academic record.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like this line of thought.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It is if you go to high school in Alabama.

Draft saved Draft deleted