1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your weekly Jameis Winston controversy/allegation update: point shaving?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 6, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No way he would jeopardize their season for something like that. Even as entitled and lacking in common sense as he is.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Even the Wallenda brothers need to keep upping the stakes to feed the adrenaline monster.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd put anything past him at this point.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or Jet.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Fact is, it doesn't come close to reaching the threshold of sufficient reason. There are far easier ways for a Heisman winning quarterback of a national championship contender to pocket $5,000 bucks, many of which do not risk jail time. We've reached a point where people will entertain any belief about James Winston simply because they do not like him.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Oh I don't think it's about HIM making money at all. That's a silly assumption. It could easily be as simple as him being bored and feeling like he knows he's better than Louisville to the point where he's throwing a friend a solid just because college football is boring and as we've said in this thread, he lives in a world where consequences have never existed.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

or MSNBC political commentator.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He threw two interceptions in the first half. One was on him, the other the freshman wide receiver stopped. His first throw of the second half was picked off and he ran the DB down and forced a fumble.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Once you realize that "he" doesn't give a shit about "them" or "their" season or whatever, it makes better sense.

It's hard for regular folk to comprehend that disconnect that sociopaths possess.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced there's anything to this, or at least it would be incredibly difficult to prove. That said, it would be just as difficult to say Winston really deserves the benefit of the doubt about anything.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Went extreme devil's advocate like this last night.

Won the Heisman as a freshman. Won the national title -- with an all-time last-minute winning TD drive. King of the world. Fuck her in the pussy. Free crab legs. Proved how valuable he is in the '14 opener against Clemson, team down 10-3 at the half and what does he do? Leads them to a win in the second half against one of the best defenses in the country. He knows how good he is. He knows how good the Seminoles are.

The college life has jaded him, what with all this scrutiny, all this pressure, and all the hate his anti-hero persona has generated.

What challenges remain, really? Throw a game? Nah, he loves to win too much.

Throw a half so that a high school buddy can pocket $5-grand? That's more doable -- risky, but doable -- because he KNOWS he can lead second-half -- last-minute -- touchdown drives. He's not scared of trailing in the second half. He performs better under pressure, the rare bird.

You don't necessarily have to play like a steaming pile of shit to "throw" a first half, rather suck just enough to keep the Noles within striking distance at the half. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Kind of reminds me of the story I read this summer about Jeff Locke and a kid he grew up with in New Hampshire who has become a sports handicapper. MLB got involved and things got quite interesting: http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/08/12/mlb-gambling-facebook-game-fixing

Anyway, the chances of Jameis and the UAB kid being in cahoots is minimal and there's probably nothing there. But Jameis also might be that rare bird who likes to ratchet up the stakes i.e. the higher the pressure, the better he thinks he can perform. It really is like a Wallenda high-wire act.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Except that he didn't play against Clemson, let alone lead FSU back in the second half.

Draft saved Draft deleted