1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your vocabulary origins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 6, 2012.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I learned the word assassination the day JFK was shot when I was in third grade. No matter what the circumstances, when I hear that word it takes me back to that day.

2. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

When I was a kid, I remember a dorky soccer referee would often use the word dissent to describe us whiny little brats.

I bombed on the word bombardment in a spelling bee in the sixth grade. Visiting this site over the years, I've often seen the words provably and demonstrably ... and cockdian, which I love, but don't know the origins.

3. azom

azom Member

I use that Carlin shell-shock to PTSD bit in my (college) classroom.

4. Ookpik

Ookpik Member

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I first heard and learned the word prostitute in the fifth grade on the bus to school. Some older kids threw it out there and I asked what it was. It was explained to me that a prostitute was a woman who sold her body for money. Since there was laughter involved in the explanation, I refrained from asking which part.

Draft saved Draft deleted