1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your unpopular opinions and creepy admissions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 8, 2016.

1. BUMP ....
    I don't like live music/concerts.
    Its too loud. Too crowded. And too expensive. I like music and I like to listen to it at home. Concerts and bars with bands? Pass.

People who "accidentally" shoot themselves or their spouse while "cleaning their guns" is about as accidental as leaving a child in back seat of a car on a hot day.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's exactly why I can't get my wife to show any interest in attending a concert:

For a variety of reasons, the music will always sound worse than what you can hear at home. And although we've been to the local symphony a couple of times, they always default to the most super well-known pieces we've heard hundreds of times already.

3. I feel the same way about live sporting events. I have ZERO desire to ever see a Steelers (PGA, NASCAR, College, insert sport name here) game in person. Not when I watch the game from the comforts of my couch.
    Music at home is the same ... I play what I want, when I want, as loud as I want. The beer is cheap and the woman is practically a slam dunk. Almost.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I love going to MLB games and go to 4-5 a year, but couldn't care less about attending any of the other big-time sports in-person as a fan.

College football is fine once in a while, but aside from the crowds and the prices, the worst part is you miss all the other games.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

There are bands I like that are much better live largely because they make terrible choices in the studio. Bands that on an album sound like chamber pop but once put on a stage will open things up and let the rhythm section drive the car.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And there are some bands that are just plain more fun in a live setting. They'll open up a three-minute song into a 10-minute jam, they'll take chances and improvise, they'll be funny and entertaining between songs or make little asides to each other, plus you can watch them interact with each other and/or the audience on stage. If the musicians are having fun and you can tell that, a live show can be WAY better than listening to a recording at home.

Dog8Cats and Hermes like this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This threadjack reminds me of the old John Mulaney bit:

β€œIt is so much easier NOT to do things than to do them ... that you would do ANYTHING is totally remarkable.”

expendable and Hermes like this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Or it can work the other way... just as delightfully. Like when my friend ribbed me at a concert and said: "I think Noel is going to have a grand piano dropped from the rafters on Liam's head during this next song."

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I like Harold Reynolds.

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Fact that may only interest me, Reynolds has a better black ink score than Roberto Alomar, who was a quasi contemporary second basemen.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Cycling, he was a decent player for an American League middle infielder of the '80s and pre-steroids '90s.
    This was an era where Buddy Bell and Travis Fryman won Silver Sluggers so the dropoff from superstar/star to decent was pretty steep.
    He got on base, didn't strike out and played for a very bland franchise.

My wife is disgusted by my defenses of him.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think Frank Sinatra's music sucks. Tinny, derivative. And since youve heard so many imitators, *he* sounds like a caricature.

He wouldn't make my top 500 American singers.

SpeedTchr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted