1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your typical typos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 11, 2015.

1. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Cincinnati. I'm not even sure I wrote it right this time.

So glad I don't live in Ohio!

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

On the website of a Florida newspaper that shall remain nameless, a recent story referred to the city of "Fart Pierce." I think they did grow beans in that area years ago.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This all made me think of taking typing in summer school after 8th grade. One of very few wise things I did around that time.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

vicotry

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hate that one too, although it's because I can't remember the right spelling half the time.
    I work in Mississippi, and it's a similar deal. I'm terrified every time I type it. So many i's and s's in a row that I sometimes have to count the keystrokes.
    Somehow, I haven't managed to screw it up yet. But it'll happen one day, and it'll probably be in a 70-point headline, thus upholding every Southern stereotype known to man.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Batman likes this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Having spent the past couple of weeks writing about a once-a-year event, I remembered another word I have trouble with: annula annual.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I do that one a lot, too.

BDC99 likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They were just trying to make the headline fit.

jpetrie18, Tarheel316 and BDC99 like this.
  10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I get that with your and you're frequently. A reporter at my shop used peaked (interest) instead of piqued in a story. It was correctly pointed out by a reader but the news editor insisted peaked was correct.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I've ever seen a writer get this one right.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I love it when writers aim for casual sophistication but type de rigeur instead of de rigueur.

Draft saved Draft deleted