1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your typical typos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 11, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh yea. Always have to stop myself on thanks. But not <<< this time!

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I entered my first spelling bee regional (or whatever it was...the one that eventually ends up on TV) in 7th grade.
    It was held at the school, and we had a huge auditorium. The kids were on stage, judges in the front row and parents, friends, the janitor, etc. where in the crowd.
    Kids were breezing through their first-round words. I finally get up and am given my word.
    'Oh, what an easy word,' I think. 'I'll just blurt it out.'
    "A-M-I-N-A-L. Animal."
    I walk off the stage in shock...and never entered another spelling bee contest again.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

One really bad one from about 25 years ago from a high school football Friday night. I wasn't responsible for it, but had a front-row seat.

One of the games of the week was being covered by a prep writer whose copy usually arrived quickly but always needed a lot of editing. This time, either the game was slow or he had computer problems, and the story didn't arrive until a few minutes before deadline. One of the teams had a star running back named Reggie Cook.

The Friday night sports slot (who always filled in because the regular slot wanted to go out drinking on Friday nights and would schedule himself for an office day) issued the order: "Slap a headline on it and send it. We're not gonna blow deadline." Wasn't even enough time to make a proof of the page.

Well, we made deadline, but Reggie Cook's last name was misspelled in the worst way possible -- in the second paragraph, on page 1C.

The paper got complaints from the kid's parents, coaches, friends, principal and who knows who else. Nobody was fired, but the slot person never again was scheduled for that role on a Friday night.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Cock, kook or gook? I'm guessing the first, but kook or gook could be considered worse.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Or maybe Coon.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I have occasion to type angle a lot and it frequently comes out at angel.

Vombatus, I was going for therapeutic here. Trying to use my power for good.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

at ≠ as :confused:

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Your first guess is correct -- reporter typed in a "c" instead of an "o." But there sure are a lot of bad possibilities in that name.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  10. novelist_wannabe

Clearly I have a problem with words that begin with a.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This guy knows how you feel.

12. novelist_wannabe

That's quality right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted