1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your TV rules and kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We may have talked about this before.

I have a kid who started kindergarten recently. Our rule is: No TV during the week, but if he performs the 10-minute clean-up at night and brushes his teeth without an argument, he can watch sports and sports only for 10 minutes or so with me.

Other policies on this? I'm curious.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Our deal was once the kids had completed homework, bathed and brushed teeth, then they could watch TV until bedtime. Definitely more than 10 minutes, though. My daughter chose reading instead most of the time, anyway. She was too easy.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My kids watch 30 minutes in the morning. We have a trampoline and a walker in the playroom and they have to be jumping or walking on them while they watch. Then they can watch 30 minutes at night. We're not home that often during the week so it's not too hard to enforce. Obviously, chores and homework have to be done and if they get a bad note home from their teachers, they lose TV privileges.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The rules in my house are, there ain't no rules. My four kids are ages 9 to 17 and all doing very well in school despite the lack of limits, apparently. They're also busy enough that they don't have too many days of truly unfettered screen time. So my wife and I don't worry too much about hard-and-fast rules on that. Actually, we never really have.

5. RecoveringJournalist

We don't really have to enforce anything, because four of the five weekdays we're not home until 8 p.m.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

My son watches 60 minutes of TV a day. Non-negotiable. #couldntresist :D

7. RecoveringJournalist

My kids are in the house and awake for about 2 1/2 hours a day Monday through Thursday. They can watch as much as they want on the weekend, but we have enough going on during the weekends as well that they may watch a little more than usual. We usually have a family movie night once a week.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I think these days the limit could be more on the Internet and personal devices than television.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We've been working to start movie night, too. We did "When It Was a Game" a couple weeks ago. He started sobbing at the end because the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Man, you have a way of hitting the nail on the head.

Yeah this is what we do. The truth is, I watched more TV as a kid than probably anyone I know. I'm fine. (Despite not getting spanked!) So until it's a problem, we don't do much in the way of rules.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't have kids, so I wonder on some of the rules like this.
    If you are a parent who does not allow a 5-year-old to watch TV during the week, were you raised without TV?

I grew up with TV rules, but it had nothing to do with volume of TV watched. It was a list of shows that were not age-appropriate, and it went away when I was about 11 or 12.

If my homework was done, I could watch TV until I had to go to bed. If we have kids, I'll probably have a similar rule.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I remember when kids didn't want to watch TV during the week.

Draft saved Draft deleted