1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top esoteric achievements.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, May 24, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I gotta ask....

When you got deported from Canada, did you at least scream out that Celine Dion, Bryan Adams and hockey all suck?

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I would have told them to be happy to be directly north of a superpower. Maple syrup and cured ham don't exactly scare off conquering warlords, you know?

3. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I once hit a halfcourt shot at the buzzer of a rec league hoops game -- it was at the end of the third quarter.

I one hit a backwards shot in a rec league hoops game.

I once hit a game-winner at the buzzer in a rec league hoops game.

I once blocked three rapid-fire shots from close range in a rec league soccer game.

In seven years of rec league soccer, I scored one goal -- in a 9-0 blowout.

I was one of three people in my eighth grade class to be recognized for having perfect attendance all three years of junior high.

I got a 33 on my ACT.

My personal bests for consumption are 20 beers and 37 chicken wings -- not in the same night, but within a few days of each other.

I went to high school with Jayson Werth.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I could read on a 12th grade level in the fourth grade, and my reading level was off the charts the next year.

I watched the entire extended edition of Lord of the Rings (all three flicks for you non-Geeks) in one marathon movie session with a group of about 10 friends, all of us have gotten laid too.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In a pick-up hoops game where we counted two pointers and three pointers to 21, with my team down 18-0, I hit seven 3s to win the game.

I was in the College Bowl national championships.

And I won two NYC HS versions, including answering the winning question my senior year. The question was on art, I have no idea how I guess the right answer as I had no knowledge of the subject

In 7 seasons of the Sopranos, I watched all but one episode during the original airing time.

Flying from Tampa to Miami on business, I once got two free flights anywhere in the US by switching to a flight which took off 35 minutes after my reserved flight.

In a four day period on my honeymoon, my wife and I ate in five restaurants in the South of France which were awarded Michelin stars.

I passed the NY bar exam without studying for any of the NY-specific topics, which make up one-half of the test.

Summer after my freshman year in college, I once passed out on a subway for 2 hours with $700 in cash in my pocket and woke up in the Bronx untouched.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rookie mistake, Bubbs. If it's Rogers Video or Jumbo Video you sail right through.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I won my fourth-grade talent show with a rendition of 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' on my harmonica.

I had the highest grade for my class' Social Studies Olympiad test for three or four straight years (I forget which), until I stopped giving a shit because all I got was a certificate.

8. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Won the spelling bee in seventh grade. Beat the biggest minesweeper level in 74 seconds once.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

-- Managed to get elected to the presidency of the sci-fi club at my college ... six months after I dropped out of school.
    -- Directed a community theater production of Guys and Dolls, two years after stage-managing a show which literally put me in the hospital. (Some have suggested that it should have been the state mental hospital. I'm not sure I disagree.)
    -- And something which should surprise absolutely nobody who reads my posts: I haven't missed a home Buffalo Bills game since 1997.

I have never been deported, though. That's impressive, Bubbs.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I went out for cross country my freshman year on a lark. Ran JV all year, just trying to learn the ropes.

Put in a lot of work before my sophomore season, and the first invitational of the year, I get put on the varsity. I run a PR. I'm feeling great about myself. Coach decides the following week to bump me from the varsity in favor of a kid who was academically ineligible the week before. I responded by going out and winning the JV race by about 30 seconds.

Never ran another JV race the rest of my high school career.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I was a Little League All-Star when I was 12.. one of four girls on the team. There were five girls in the entire LL.. and it was only the second year girls were allowed in...

Held the junior high high jump record, at 4-9, for many years

First-team all-league softball, as a first baseman, in high school. My name is still in the school trophy case, nearly 30 years later

Graduated fourth in my class.

I loved school and was really good at it.

I still have the saxophone my mom bought me when I was 10

I have won a slew of journalism awards, many small, one sorta big, and I am inanely proud of them

I am inanely proud to have graduated, cum laude, from college in four years despite some serious personal setbacks

First female sports editor of my school paper with locker room access

I was at Kenny Rogers' perfect game in 1994, as a spectator and was able to cheer wildly

When the Ohio state track meet was still at Ohio Stadium, John Cooper once helped himself to a seat in the press area track side to watch one of his incoming studs run. It was my seat. When he got up, I sat back down in it. I was widely cheered by my colleagues

It took some time, but I finally left Ohio as I had vowed as young woman and have no intentions of returning full time

My name is actually on a piece of published Star Trek fiction

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The mighty Titans, eh? If they doled out state championships based on facilities, that school would never lose. You guys must've been financed by mob money or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted