1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top esoteric achievements.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, May 24, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Could be worse. My senior year, I was part of a 4x50 meter freestyle relay team that set the school record in the preliminaries of the county meet. The next day, I was replaced on the team for the finals and the other four guys crushed the old record by about two seconds. I didn't even get to see my name on the big records board hanging over the pool.
    I'm still kind of bitter about it. :mad:

2. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

My freshman year of high school, I was one of 3 freshman on our varsity speech and debate team. I was the only freshman in five years to do foreign extemporaneous speaking. I also did public speaking and poetry. The other two were a duet team. The entire varsity team was 30 people.

I also won our marcher of the year award that same year for marching band. My sophomore year, I sight-read my symphonic band (our top group) audition and was the only sophomore selected for the honor.

My sophomore year of college, I transferred and auditioned for a band scholarship at my new school. I was offered more than the section leader, and the director was known for giving scholarship amounts based on talent, not available money, often going to the booster organization for more money because he over budgeted himself. I was a trumpet prodigy. I turned down the scholarship and haven't hardly played since. I went into this damn business instead.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

As a ninth-grader, I hit the game-winning FTs against our rival during summer basketball camp in front of a packed house on a D1 college court. I also got posterized the day before from a kid I believe went on to play D1 ball. Two-handed dunk along the baseline. Awesome.

Placed in five of seven events at the JV county track meet. (shot, discus, 4x100, LJ, TJ)

Got a fingertip on a punt in the end zone as a sophomore on the varsity team against our rivals. My first play of the night.

God, I suck. I'm gonna go watch real athletes compete now.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hence Dooley's biggest esoteric moment

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It was a simple case of T-ball.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not, you know, that there's anything wrong with that ...

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In the only wrestling match the cheerleaders showed up for my senior year of HS, I pinned my opponent right in front of them at a time when that was the only way I could win. It also gave us back the lead with only two matches to go, though we freaking lost by one point in the end.

When I worked in a smaller town than DC, I covered the president in my then hometown.

I was up pretty close during Obama's inauguration. Not for work, but as an American.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Outling Alert:

Faithless is Les Nessman

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In high school I once drank 28 cans of beer and sang all of American Pie without messing up the lyrics.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good musical choice ... enough pauses to get the vomiting done during those breaks.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's not something you do when you're drunk. That's something you do when you're coked out.

I'd hate to think how much weed I'd have to smoke to do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted