1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top esoteric achievements.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, May 24, 2009.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I held the high jump record at my high school when I was a senior.
    It was broken the next year. :(

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I once scored eight times in an ultimate frisbee game.

The fact that I'm able to keep up with college age kids, some of whom might be young enough to be my children is a continual source of pride for this soon-to-be 36-year-old.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

In eight of my 10 years playing youth/high school hockey, I scored our team's first goal of the season - including seven straight from pee wee through the end of my high school career.

Scored the game-winning goal in OT in the championship game of a hockey tournament ... while lying flat on my stomach.

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Me, too. I also could read and write by the time I turned four.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I had three fumble recoveries for the sophomore football team in high school

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

It's pretty obvious this place is full of beasts.

7. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

I have read the Baseball Encyclopedia cover-to-cover like 6 times and now have a savant-like knowledge of player stats from 1900 (and some players before then) to about 1995 or 96.
    If you give me the name of a significant player who had success at his position for a long time or who was an all-star at least once, I can tell you the stats for his best season from memory.
    Great for bar bets, no other use.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I was a Forensics king in high school. Beyond that, I pretty much got nothing. Haven't burped any National Anthems. I have seen every Tony Award winning best musical for the past seven years but I have to go a lot longer before that's really anything noteworthy.

Hell, 53 years of nada.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Meh. MLIA.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Gutter is Alex Ovechkin.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I laid out an entire 24-page special commencement issue of our college newspaper without even learning how to do layout. Did the whole thing in Quark by teaching myself on the go.

Accomplished the biggest childhood goal I ever set for myself when, at the age of 22, I sat ringside at a WrestleMania.

Delivered one of the biggest hits of my team's football season during my senior year. At a practice towards the end of the year, I was playing scout defense (Basically JV as I was too lazy to try to make varsity). Went up against the starting offense and absolutely laid out this kid I despised on a run play up the middle. My head coach asked "Where that came from" after I walked back to the huddle.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've traveled by myself in some remote parts of Latin America and have been in situations that would have freaked the hell out of ordinary people.

Draft saved Draft deleted