1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top 3 actors

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Amy Adams is pleasant to look at but can't carry a movie.

Julie/Julia suffers bigtime when Streep is offscreen.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've heard it isn't so much Adams as the script/direction. I saw Enchanted, thought I'd hate it, but I really enjoyed it. Adams is great in almost anything she's done Doubt/Miss Pettigrew/Talladega Nights/Charlie Wilson's War.
    She's not a "movie star" like Julia Roberts, but I give her a lot of credit for taking interesting roles.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

She's a tedious and extraneous character, even if it's a book adaptation. Honestly, they would have been better off just doing a Child biopic. And all the husband is really there for is to noisily chew, smack his lips and say the equivalent of, "Oh, boy, this grub sure is good."

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

The three "best" actors:
    DiCaprio
    Giammatti
    Hoffman

My three "Favorite" actors:
    Norton
    Giammatti
    Hanks

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

You look at the body of work that Hanks has done throughout his career and you can't help but be amazed. I remember leaving the theater after watching Cataway not believing I'd spent so much time watching a one-man performance that kept me captivated.

6. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

How has Anthony Hopkins' name not appeared yet, even on the honorable mention lists? Do people consider him to be more or less retired, or is Paul Giamatti actually thought of as a better actor?

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I thought he was excellent in The Terminal as well. Did he even speak any English during the entire movie? I don't think he did - it was all his madeup gobbledegook.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No one's offended at the epic sponsorship "influence" which dripped all over some of these Hanks efforts? I am. Cast Away (FedEx)? The Terminal (AA)? Christ. Offensive, in spades.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ben, "You've Got Mail" was even worse. In addition to the obvious shill for AOL, there was literally a speech about why Starbucks was so great and crucial scenes took place in one of the stores.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You saved me the trouble. I realize his basic show-up tab is very, very large, and producers have to find a way, but I think it blows,
    and I know I'm not alone.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you like Amber Heard, go rent The Informers now... Thank me later...

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I miss her as Greta.

That was a cool little show.

Draft saved Draft deleted