1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top 10 quarterbacks of all time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That I've seen:

Manning
    Marino
    Montana
    Elway
    Brady
    Aikman
    Young
    Fouts
    Favre
    Kelly

Interesting that the guy who did the top 0 non-HOF QBs didn't have Simms. Oversight?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Paul Crewe.

Senior, not junior.

[​IMG]

Stick this in your trophy case.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bradshaw also claims to have ADHD, something he discovered very late in life. If that is true, he was probably told that he was dumb often enough to believe it even if it wasn't true just because teachers back then wouldn't have known how to help him.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bradshaw has something going on, but I think he is more "dumb like a fox." I think he plays the clown as a defense to his learning disabilities that hindered him in the classroom.

Hell, at least he is not selling boner bills and living on an island with no electricity or plumbing. :)

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Gotta go with QBs in my era (around since the early 90s).

1. Brady
    2. Montana
    3. Manning
    4. Favre
    5. Troy Aikman
    6. Steve Young
    7. Dan Marino
    8. John Elway
    9. Jim Kelly
    10. Hmmm, Warren Moon maybe?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He doesn't get credit for it, for obvious reasons, but Earl Morrall should be on that list with an asterisk. He got the '68 Colts to the Super Bowl, then quarterbacked the Dolphins for half the undefeated '72 season when Griese broke his leg. Definitely one of the most underrated QBs of all time.

My top 10, in some order...
    Unitas
    Otto Graham
    Sammy Baugh
    Elway
    Montana
    Favre
    Peyton Manning
    Marino
    Dan Fouts
    Troy Aikman (probably could've racked up bigger numbers in a less-balanced offense)

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can assume Aikman would have done more in a less-balanced offense. He also might have done a lot worse if he didn't have such dominant talent around him. Those guys helped him a lot more than they held him back.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Montana
    Montana
    Montana
    Staubach
    Elway
    Manning
    Baugh
    Young
    Brady
    Marino

Graham
    Favre
    Fouts

Just saying Joe was well ahead of anyone else.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just meant that, if Aikman didn't have the NFL's all-time leading rusher chewing up yards and clock in the same backfield, he probably throws a little more and accumulates more stats that would make him more than an afterthought in most "all-time greats" discussions.
    For a HOF quarterback in a passer-friendly era, Aikman's passing numbers are fairly pedestrian. Just under 33,000 yards, 165 TDs, 141 interceptions, 61.5 percent completion rate. He got into the HOF based on the Super Bowls the Cowboys won.
    Most experts rate him, however, as one of the most accurate passers they've ever seen. So, if you swap him out for Steve Young on the 49ers, or even put him on a team with a B+ running game, I just think he ends up with a couple thousand more yards and a couple dozen more TDs. Maybe he pushes up on 40,000 yards and 200 TDs.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

OK.

Earl Morrall*

* Threw Super Bowl III with a performance rivaled only by Lefty Williams in Game 8 of the 1919 Series.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Emmitt Smith made the Cowboys dynasty.

Aikman? No better than Joe Namath.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're probably right. I kind of spaced when I got to the 10th slot on the list :)

Draft saved Draft deleted