1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top 10 quarterbacks of all time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

He'd make my top 20 for sure. If there is one QB on my list that I may trade him for, it's Baugh.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That list is meaningless. Most great QBs only played for one team (you keep a real franchise QB, you don't let him get away), or spent their great years with one team and then did a bit of mop up duty at the end of their career with another team. The other name on that list is Craig Morton. He doesn't crack the top 10 (and no, I am not comparing Morton to Warner, just pointing out that the list is kind of "so what?" to me).

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Favre and Montana were/are very close to being on this list.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

For the sake of adding fuel:

Unitas, Montana, Graham, Baugh, Marino, Manning, Elway, Staubach, Starr, Favre

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If Archie Manning never exists and Bradshaw is drafted by the Saints . . . does anyone remember him today?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He had Elway's arm, Steve Young's legs and Vince Young's head when he was drafted, but being closer to home could have helped him earlier in his career.

Who knows?

But his ability to throw the deep ball (as good as anyone who ever played) was the perfect complement to the power running game.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

See, those kinds of arguments always make me cringe. If that's what you were going for with this one, anyway.

I mean...."If Archie Manning never exists"? Really?

Some people love the "but if he played on this other team...." argument, but it always falls flat for me because, well, he didn't play for that other team. You could say that about damn near everyone if you really wanted. Still wouldn't make a lick of sense.

8. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I'd like to see how Baugh would handle today's game and some of the prima dona WR's that are out there now?

And the best thing about him is, you wouldn't need a punter

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I like Peter's scenario because it's drawn out of curiosity, not to determine whether or not he'd be a better player.

10. The Big Ragu

Each didn't play for the other team, as you pointed out. But bringing it up isn't senseless when you are doing subjective evaluations like this. Especially, f you actually watched the Steelers and the New Orleans Saints in the 1970s.

Bradshaw had talent all around him. For much of his career, Archie Manning had (and this isn't really arguable) a Swiss cheese offensive line that nearly got the guy killed. Archie Manning was obviously a great QB. He also spent a decade running for his life and getting pounded over and over again. It doesn't necessarily mean he would have been a winner or a Super Bowl winning QB with a decent team or necessarily an all-time great. But it's certainly really interesting to do a "what if," given just how little Manning had to work (the Saints were that bad) with and how much Bradshaw had to work with. From just a talent-evaluation perspective, I think you'd find a lot more people who watched them both play (and aren't fanbois) who felt Archie Manning had more innate talent that Terry Bradshaw did, and those who watched Manning at Ole Miss would probably take the argument a step further about how much he was jobbed by spending his career with the Saints.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Never saw Unitas, Baugh, etc., so my apologies for leaving them off the list.

Of the ones I've seen:
    1. Montana
    2. Marino
    3. Manning (Peyton, not Eli)
    4. Brady
    5. Elway
    6. Young (Steve, not Vince)
    7. Fouts
    8. Favre
    9. Moon
    10. Kelly

Honorable mention: Bradshaw, Ken Anderson (only got to see the end of their careers).

12. The Big Ragu

Wendell, Ken Anderson is a good one. Not top 10 in my estimation, but the name that tends to get left out the most in these conversations.

Draft saved Draft deleted