1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top 10 quarterbacks of all time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

List your top 10 professional quarterbacks of all time. Any league. Any era. Use whatever criteria you want: wins, championships, passing yards, touchdowns, passer rating, field generalship, whatever. Feel free to add whatever comments you wish in favor of or against any player.

Yes, I appreciate the difficulty of comparing players from different eras. But that's sort of what these sort of topics do.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Baugh, Graham, Layne, Starr, Unitas, Staubach, Montana, Elway, Brady, Manning. And Luckman, Marino, Jurgensen and Young could be on the list the next time I pick it. Ten is too few to be comprehensive. Twenty would be better.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Montana, Brady, Elway, Unitas, Manning, Staubach, Marino, Favre, Graham, Tarkenton.

That is a very difficult list to winnow down to 10, though.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Unitas, Manning, Montana, Graham, Marino, Staubach, Baugh, Young, Elway, Layne

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bradshaw would be on my list, but that has been argued over and over.

He is 4-0 in the big game, and his right arm was the reason they won three of them.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

93, Bradshaw is certainly in the mix. As I said, 10 is way too few. Twenty would be more historically accurate if summing up the very best at that position. Hell, for running backs you might need 50.

7. 93Devil

Honestly, running backs might be easier than QBs.

8. The Big Ragu

Bradshaw is in the mix, definitely, and I gave it a lot of thought before leaving him off my 10. No argument with anyone who includes him. When it came to the Steelers, I always think defense first. It was completely the focus of that team when I was young. On offense, I thought Bradshaw always managed the game incredibly well, but their offense was always a lot of Franco Harris (3.9 yards, step out of bounds!) and when they needed a big play, Lynn Swann and John Stallworth could make Bradshaw look pretty damned good. That's not to say that Bradshaw wasn't a great QB, though. You just have to make a determination with teams like that, and guess how much you think it was the QB and how much he was boosted by who was around him.

I don't have Aikman on my list for similar reasons. That Cowboys offense was just so well balanced, and it's not that Aikman wasn't a great QB, but I have trouble figuring out how much of it was him, and how well any QB would have done with that O-line and Emmitt Smith running the ball with Moose Johnston leading the way. The defense could try to go stacked in the box against all that beef, but rarely did, because then they threw Michael Irvin and Jay Novacek into the seams. I think it could have made a lot of QBs look damned good. Again, not to say that Aikman wasn't a great QB, and no quibble with anyone who would include him, because he belongs in the discussion.

I know you can say these things about any of the QBs that played on great teams. But I look at Joe Montana (maybe this is arbitrary, but this is all opinion anyhow) and think he was a bit more special, in that he could have elevated any team you put around him (not that having Roger Craig, Jerry Rice, etc. hurt him, of course) to something much better than it really was.

Bradshaw is hard, though, because I tend to value winning over the stats, which is why Marino, who I think is the most talented throwing QB ever, will always fall back a few spots on my list, and Tom Brady will always step up a spot or two.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No love for Roman Gabriel?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

The line begins with Bradshaw, Montana, Marino, Elway, Baugh, Graham, Starr, Unitas, Brady, Manning.
    Saw Roman Gabriel have a classic meltdown during a game with the Eagles. No, he doesn't crack the top 10.

11. 93Devil

I would also give Kurt Warner a lot of consideration. Played in three and took one impossibly backward franchise to the big game.

The list of QBs to take two different francises to the Super Bowl is very, very short.

12. The Big Ragu

He had the best cameo ever by a QB on an episode of Gilligan's Island.

Draft saved Draft deleted