1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top 10 pieces of classical music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 20, 2008.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Absolutely.

Pachelbel's Canon in D major is, and Bach's "Air on G String" is also a stunning and beautiful piece.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll get to this, I swear.

And when I do, I'll make up a list of things that no one's touched on, to this point.

But with full knowledge that the piano is God's instrument, I'm astounded that to this point, the names of Chopin, Ravel and Debussy have not been invoked, yet.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Hey, I mentioned Chopin's "Minute" as a masterpiece!

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Whoops. Read the thread three times, too.

We'll get to this, honest. It's worth getting to.

5. The Blue Danube Waltz is The One. It's the most perfect tune ever written.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

In attempt to revive this thread ...

I recently obtained a Ralph Vaughan Williams CD. The "Fantasia on Greensleeves" is without question one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Springsteen concerto - John Bayless
    Tribute to Springsteen - Hometown String Quartet

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I can't play this game, because too many people in the business know what my favorite pieces are, and it would be Out City if the list were displayed in toto . . . but Rachmaninoff (besides being one of the great classical pianists ever -- what a reach!) wrote some of the most melodic mush ever, and I grew up when Lenny B. started flogging Mahler big-time, and an affection for much of that stuff never left me.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Suite for Solo Cello No. 1 in G Minor - Bach
    (Yo Yo Ma's performance is No. 3 on my iPhone, No. 1 in my heart)

Other than that, it's hard to argue any of the entries so far.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Interesting thread...

I will miss something I like better. But without racking my brain too hard.

1) Fantasie Impromtu, Chopin (I love piano music and struggled to play this when I was kid... learned it out of stubbornness)
    2) Trout Quintet, Schubert (probably the one piece of classical music I would take to a desert island if I could have only one; Schubert is probably my favorite composer and way underrated; he had a feel for melody that few others did.)
    3) Schubert's 5th Symphony (close on my list to the Trout Quintet)
    4) Eine Kleine Nactmusik, Mozart
    5) Mozart's Symphony # 36 -- the one in C
    6) The Messiah, Handel
    7) Any of the Brandenburg Concertos, Bach
    8 ) Bach, Almost any of the two-part inventions for piano. Just fun to play.
    9) Any of Beethoven's Sonata's. If I have to pick one, the Appasionata, followed by the Pathetique and Clair de Lune.
    10) Beethoven's 9th Symphony is my favorite, but I couldn't limit this to just 10 and much more Beethoven would be on the list.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Always been a fan of Pachelbel's Canon in D for whatever reason.. it's the only piece of classical i own.. it's set to ocean sounds, and I listen if I can't sleep. Does the trick.

12. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez and Warsaw Concerto by Adinsell.

Draft saved Draft deleted