1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top 10 pieces of classical music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 20, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think we should make HC the moderator of this thread.

Just sayin.....................:)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yeah.. found it and mentioned it three posts up...

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm the biggest sucker for Rachmaninoff on the planet, and harbor soft spots for those Englishmen Elgar and Delius (and, yeah, I know FD mostly spent his time in France and the U. S., but he's music's still English). Will be more specific when I have more time, later.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wagner's Flying Dutchman for me is always synonymous with "Best of the Football Follies".

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

JS Bach's Six Suites for Unaccompanied Cello. Find the recordings made by Casals and Rostropovich. Yo Yo Ma does 'em up right, too.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Sorry Slappy. Didn't scroll up far enough. :D

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For the longest time when I heard the opening to "The Final Countdown" . . . I thought I was listening to a classical piece. :eek:

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

40 I believe

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

40 is the better known and I love it too. Try 25 though. It's lovely.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Damn good thread, Simon.

1. Beethoven's Ninth Symphony -- the fourth movement ("Ode to Joy") simply being the greatest work of music in history
    2. Rhapsody in Blue, Gershwin
    3. 1812 Overture, Tschaikovsky
    4. The Toreador Suite from Carmen, Bizet (this was my original cell phone ring)
    5. Symphony from the New World, Dvorak
    6. "Jupiter" from Holst's The Planets
    7. Pictures at an Exhibition, Mussorgsky
    8. Fanfare for the Common Man, Copeland
    9. Polovtsian Dances, Borodin (better known as the "Stranger in Paradise" theme)
    10. "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana, Orff

Others receiving votes:
    The Four Seasons, Vivaldi (heard the LA Phil play this -- with a different violinist soloing on each season -- five years ago)
    Appalachian Spring, Copeland (Yes, Wicked, he's eminently classical)
    Fur Elise and Wellington's Victory, Beethoven
    Symphony No. 40, Mozart (nice call, Simon)
    Porgy & Bess, Gershwin
    Barber of Seville, Rossini (got this answer right on Win Ben Stein's Money/Ben didn't)
    Brandenburg Concertos 4 and 5, Bach
    Theme from Exodus, Ferrante & Teicher (does this count?)

I have a soft spot for most of the Russians, which drives my baroque-loving wife -- who considers anything but Tschaikovsky noise -- bananas.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Bird:

You and I seem to have similar tastes; a lot of the stuff on your list was under consideration for me, especially the Carmen stuff. I love that score. The stuff on your list that I haven't heard, I'm going to check out. If you haven't heard the Thomas Tallis piece, I'd recommend it -- it's not a long piece, somewhere around 14-16 minutes I think. if you saw "Master And Commander", it is used as part of the score.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Most of my favorites have been mentioned already, but I'll throw out Schubert's "Ave Maria." One of the most beautiful pieces of music ever put together.

Also, the old theme music from NFL Films, specifically "Up She Rises" and "A Season Awaits" always gets my blood pumping.

Draft saved Draft deleted