1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top 10 films (guilty pleasures allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Actually, I remember The Groove Tube first. It came out in 1974 (starring Richard Belzer and Chevy Chase) and was an instant high school riot. Then Kentucky Fried Movie came out three years later and did it all over again. I think I remember The Groove Tube as being wackier.

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

The Dead Pool: Picking up a couple years after the events in Sudden Impact, Harry "Dirty Harry" Callahan (Clint Eastwood) is assigned to investigate the death of rock singer Johnny Squares (Jim Carrey).

Jim Carrey? Who knew?

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was huge fans of ZAZ, especially since we're from the same locale. I rented an apartment from '87-'93 and the agent for the property company was the Zucker Bros.' uncle. A real serious type where it was hard to believe they were of the same blood.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No shit?

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah, I got that from Wikipedia. I saw the film when it came out, but don't recall much except the toy-car scene.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Remember the "Sex Olympics"? My college roommates and I loved that one

For those reading who never saw it, it basically was a stag film with sports commentary dubbed over it.

"The East Germans are known for their deep penetration."

"What a fine probe."

And every time the flick would start to show the real hard-core close-ups, the screen would mess up as though there were technical difficulties.

I have KFM on video. I should look for Groove Tube, too.

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Which one had the male and female hands flirting, and then the male hand sported a woody when the thumb popped up between two fingers? That was a howler. Think it was Groove Tube.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Lots of things going for that film:
    1) Dirty Harry
    2) Harry's partner, played by Evan Kim, was respectful but not in awe and could clean up the streets.
    3) Jim Carrey as the strung-out actor ... and yes, he played the character straight.
    4) The radio-controlled car - that was a major hobby of mine growing up.
    5) The fact that Harry allowed the leading lady, played by Patricia Clarkson, to get a little too close. Callahan showed a soft spot for women ... just when we thought he was the ultimate loner ...

9. Can't mention the Dead Pool without mentioning the cameos by Guns N Roses - I belief it was Duff who shot the harpoon gun - it's the only reason I watched the movie all those years ago.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

No order:

The Right Stuff, Godfathers I & II, Sons of the Desert, In the Heat of the Night, The Great Escape, Gimme Shelter, Fog of War, Donnie Darko, The Verdict (coin-flip winner over Cool Hand Luke).

YHS, etc

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

In no particular order:

Blues Brothers
    Shaolin Soccer
    Godzilla: Final Wars
    Kill Bill (the first one, if I have to choose)
    Shaun of the Dead
    Voices of a Distant Star
    Serenity
    Robot Monster (Phil Tucker's magnum opus)
    Ringu
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Heathers :)
    Knocked Up
    Gone With the Wind
    Remember the Titans (shut up)
    Rage (check it out!!!)
    Anchorman
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Major League