1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your thoughts on this one?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Concerned_Journo, Apr 21, 2007.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

B, and we won!!!!!

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

The Rules knows of what he speaks. I read several of the pieces, and they were quite good, and made it clear up front that they kept their objectivity, which is also good.
    Maybe it did affect perception. I don't know. I'm not there, and I didn't deal with any behind-the-scenes pressure they might have dealt with.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Consider whether doing this puts those writers in a compromising position.

Example A: Photo of you in team gear shows up on the opponents' fans' web site every time you write anything they don't like.

Example B: Team you cover's coach thinks you "owe" him something for making you an honorary coach and "allowing you" to stand on the sideline (After all, you're working for him in the honorary coach scenario). He reminds you of how good he was to you, and how he gave you team gear, when you write something bad about him or ask him tough questions.

Answer: You're taking a big risk by wearing the gear even if you're doing it as a lark.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Amen x 2 there, bro.

rb

5. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I would decline if offered. I'm not the story, whether columnist or beat writer. I'm tired of first-person pieces where "I" begins every third sentence. Egotists too in love with themselves do it.

Then again, do we know if they were pressured by the higher ups because it panders to the market? Wouldn't surprise me either, as I've been encouraged just with high school coverage to homer for the readership.

It IS all about the bottom line, you know.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You all realize you're talking about a freakin' spring football GAME, right?

Do it, don't do it -- who gives a shit? They toss you a shirt, put it on, don't put it on -- who gives a shit?

Son of a bitch. You're standing on the sidelines for the spring game. You're having a little FUN with your job. Write a goofy column about it, talk about the inside info you got from the experience.

We bitch and moan constantly about parents, players and coaches taking these games too seriously. And here we are doing the same thing.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wait, so we shouldn't do something because a photo may turn up on a fan web site?
    Really?
    And you don't keep the team gear or you donate it to a charity for one of those auctions.
    If the coach thinks he owes you something, tell him you don't.
    Lordy, the navel gazing is in full effect.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would rather stand on the sidelines for the spring game to report. I refuse to wear clothes of the school/team that I cover, no exceptions.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'm going to disagree.

There are two types of people who read our stuff: The absolute nutcases who will be pissed one way or the other no matter what we do and the people who are smart enough to figure out why you're wearing what you're wearing, especially if you tell them.

I refuse to allow the first group dictate how I act. Luckily, there are far more people in the second group. They'll be the ones who pick up a paper, read your story/column on "coaching" in the spring game, smile and go on about their day.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've never heard of such a thing, and I tried imagining this happening on my beat and about died from laughter. Wherever this happened, it's nowhere near my paper.

I'd say no to everything, and ain't no way I'm wearing school apparel. Fuck that.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let me ask you this, Dog. And I'm not being an asshole asking it, it's sincere.
    Do you think that those in the second group -- especially at this particular school -- might expect more favorable coverage because of this? that subconsciously you've established yourself as a team A man and negative commentary (even deserved) would be turning against your team. Could that be a perception?

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think a better idea would be to use my contacts to get free tickets to a hockey game, then take my kid and use my contacts again to get into the locker room so my kid could get free stuff and autographs then write a column about what a thrill it was for him and me.

Draft saved Draft deleted