1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your thoughts on this one?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Concerned_Journo, Apr 21, 2007.

1. now there's a good attitude

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Welcome to big-time Southern college football.

3. I'm sorry but I really need a clarification before I can weigh in. What the hell were the responsbilities of an honorary coach? Were they calling plays? Doing any type of coaching stuff? Or just standing on the sidelines? What is an honorary coach?

It seems like people on here are operating under two dififerent assumptions ...

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I've seen local colleges have "honorary coaches" for games all the time. They're usually boosters or someone who won the right at auction. They sit and contribute nothing.

If all these guys were asked to do was that, it would have made good fodder for a column. Because, as many have said, spring football is utterly useless. If they were asked to call plays and actually participate, that's unlike any honorary coach I've ever heard of.

This is so damn harmless, ultimately. The actual season is five months away. It's not an ethical question as much as it's a "do you want to stand and look like a geek" question. A lot of people here are thinking with their textbooks and their classroom memories of ethics, and theory classes instead of using their heads.

Five months before the season, a columnist can do something cheesy like this. Maybe, just maybe, it breaks up the monotony of the usual coverage.

A beat guy? Probably shouldn't partake.

5. I agree with that. A columnist could have fun with that, even wear the clothes, if they make a joke about it.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

By that, do you mean the 92K that were inside the stadium, the thousands more that got shut out by the fire marshal, or the thousands upon thousands in the state that contribute to your paycheck by buying the paper to read your "crappy story" on their team?

rb

7. I don't think anyone is questioning the ethics of doing the honorary coach thing. Of the scribes who did just that on Saturday, I read a fine piece by one in Sunday's paper. Clearly, it can make for a great behind-the-scenes story.

The issue also does not lie in whether you would wear the Podunk U. colors. Especially at my last stop, which had pretty mainstream colors, my absent-minded ass showed up from time to time wearing that hue. Didn't affect my journalism.

The issue here, I'm told, is that the Podunk U. logo was donned. Since I know some of the guys in question, and know them to be objective and pretty damn hard-working, I doubt it affected their journalism. But did it affect perception?

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Do not take the clothes, go to the game anyway, and do a column about how your four/five competitors wore clothes of the school and you did not, because you have integrity. That'd be an interesting piece.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Perception by whom? At places where they are overly fanatic about this stuff, fans sadly would prefer to see the writers boost the local team.

But yes, as discussed in other threads, being aware of perception is important. I still maintain this would make a good column.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The one I read had to improve to be average...

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So did you coach Team A or Team B?

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

My bad. You're right, there aren't that many people in Alabama who know how to read.

But yeah, those people. All of them. These overflow spring games don't impress me. Have you ever tried to rationalize why they draw so much?
    Kind of the same reason NFL preseason games are mostly sellouts too.
    Not only is it the first look at the team, and the new freshman, but a big party with like-minded folk where you never really have to boo.
    ANd more improtantly, think about it...for a good portion of these 92,000 + fans, it's their only chance to see a game at all. About $10 for a 50-yard line seat? $5 for a general admission seat (these are generalfor what most spring games charge, Bama may be more or less, if anything)...and students of all sorts get in free? When most games are going to put me out $50 at minimum, dang straight I'll go.

My point is, it's not an important game. Some August, who is going to care if White won or Red won, or who did what. Hell, come next Monday, who is going to care? And they sure aint going to give a rats ass that you were an Honorary coach in it. Hell, most of them won't even know.
    It's a laid back atmosphere and more a big party for the fans. Enjoy it.

Draft saved Draft deleted