1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your thoughts on this one?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Concerned_Journo, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Taylee

Taylee Member

I could see TV or radio guys doing this without a second thought. Most broadcast guys around here are cheerleaders anyway.

Now as far as a reporter goes, no way do you take part in this.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Count me among the nos.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Somone wrote about wearing the team's gear --- "You wouldn't do that on Game day in the fall..."

Apparently you've never been in the press box at either West Virginia or Notre Dame because 90 percent of the people in both have never gotten that memo nor do they give a rat's ass about the CFA disclaimer on cheering in the press box.......

4. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

This happened near me, too ... the writer wore a hat and shirt, and roamed the sidelines. Afterward the coach brought him in front of the team and thanked him, and the players clapped. It was sickening for me. Of course, i wasn't asked to do it, so I don't know how I would have declined the invite.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I know it's different because they aren't beat reporters but Verducci wore Jays stuff in spring training a few years ago and I'm assuming McCallum did when he was an asst. with the Suns in the preseason last year.

I don't think you should wear the gear when you're covering the games, but if you're going to do the "honorary coach" thing I don't think a shirt makes that much of a difference.

6. I don’t want to get in the way of some good self-righteous ethical chest thumping, but in the hands of the right writer this could be a hell of a good piece.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I see that as being part of their assignments. Their jobs for those pieces required them to be embedded with those teams, in as many facets as possible.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perhaps, but in those situations it was dealing with a magazine and a feature piece, not beat writers who cover the team on a daily basis.

9. man, I would get into so many fights if I ever had to work in those conditions

fuck those assholes

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I was surprised the guys (at least some of them) agreed to do this -- or that their papers let them do it.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

When I was a beat guy covering college football, I always made sure the colors of my shirts and sweaters were not even close to those of either team I was covering that day. I made a mistake one time and wound up with only a purple sweater for a game I was covering at U. Washington. The logo was from some long-ago golf tournament, nothing to do with either team. But I took some crap that day and it was deserved.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Screw it. I'll say I'd do it. It's a freakin spring game. They are playing.....themselves. Is there a bias on being an honary coach for the Red and not the White?
    Screw it. Have a little fun in your work and lighten up. It's not like Nick Saban is calling you up on a 4th an 1 with a national championship on the line asking you what play to run. It's a scrimmage where the only people who are going to be reading your crappy story are the die hard team fans who already think your coverage of their team sucks anyway, so screw it.

Draft saved Draft deleted