1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Super Bowl prediction...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If he says the word Speedball today, I will puke.

I always thought that was a song about John Belushi.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Prepare to puke, Simon.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He will pimp America and Obama. Not a new album.

If he is constricted to 12 (probably closer to 15 minutes) take out Rosalita.

Hungry Heart, Born to Run, Glory Days

I still think we will hear This Land is Your Land.

4. Simon_Cowbell

That song makes him look really stupid.

Perhaps the only one in his entire catalog that does.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Remember, Devil, he debuted Working on a Dream at an Obama rally ... he pimps Obama, America and a new album all in one song.

6. Simon_Cowbell

That song is possible.

But I don't think it has anything to do with pimping a new album.

7. 93Devil

On a side note, tickets for his show in Charlottesville at the JPJ go on sale tomorrow.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Tickets for a ton of shows go on sale at 9 a.m. tomorrow...ticketmaster is gonna be a clusterfuck

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

In order to perform well, Arizona needs a huge turnover advantage.

Here are the Cardinals results against foes ranked by opponents season turnover ratio:

W Miami (+17)
    W W San Fran (-17)
    W Dallas (-11)
    W Buff (-8)
    W W Seattle (-7)
    L Minnesota (-6)
    W W St. Louis (-5)
    L NY Jets (-1)
    L Wash (0)
    L NE (+1)
    L Philly (+3)
    L Carolina (+8)
    L NYG (+9)

During the regular season, Arizona simply did not beat teams that did not beat themselves. Only Miami, in the second game of the season, was a good turnover team that lost to Arizona. Why was the Miami game different? Anquan Boldin caught a 79-yard TD on the Cards' first play from scrimmage. On the fifth play of the Cards' next drive, Larry Fitzgerald caught a 75-yard pass to put his team inside the 5. Arizona scored; Miami was immediately taken out of its game.

This will not happen to Pittsburgh. The old turnover cliche applies to this game a hundred times over. If Pittsburgh holds onto the ball (and doesn't allow 70+ yard catches), Pittsburgh wins handily. And the Steelers were +4 in that category this season.

In the playoffs, the Cardinals have forced turnovers (+2 against Atlanta, +6 against Carolina) and made the big play with their running attack (fourth-down conversion against Philly).

So what will the final score be? Well, away from home the Steelers held foes to about a touchdown less per game than they averaged throughout the season. The Cards gave up about a touchdown more per game on the road, keeping foes under their average only twice. One of those was in the opener against San Fran, and came with the aid of five turnovers.

With that being said, I figure the Cards will score around 20 without the help of a defensive/special teams score or the running game making big plays inside the 20. Pittsburgh should get their average of 21 while adding a touchdown based on playing the Cardinals.

With the better defense, Pittsburgh should get the extra score on its side. I don't see the Steelers simply turning off the Arizona scoring faucet. The Cards will get theirs. They just won't stop Pittsburgh.

PITTSBURGH 33, ARIZONA 20 -- so speaketh The Sports Predictor

Here's some prop plays I like:

Gary Russell to score games first TD at 15/1
    -- Clearly out on a limb with this one, but he's scored in four of the last six games in which he's received a carry.

Steve Breaston under 40½ receiving yards
    Jerhame Urban under 18½ receiving yards
    -- These guys have vanished in the playoffs. Only once in the postseason has either broke 18 yards. Sounds like a trend.

Number of players with a pass attempt over 2½
    -- I'm pretty sure we're guaranted two. I think someone's got a trick play up their sleeve. Whisenhunt called a pass play for Antwaan Randle-El in the Steeler last SB that went for a TD. I am supremely confident in this pick. I am calling for an Anquan Boldin pass.

Will there be a roughing-the-passer penalty
    -- Yes

The Steelers will have the longest kickoff return
    -- Each top return man's average is very close. The Steelers' pick is the dog here, so I'll take it.

Gerald Hayes under 5 tackles
    -- I don't really know who this guy is, but when I looked up his stats he rarely got more than five. And that's the underdog side.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm watching the Kitty Halftime Show on Animal Planet. :D

11. 93Devil

The question is will you have to switch channels to watch it? :)

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'll probably watch Puppy Bowl and turn back over to NBC on commercials. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted