1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Super Bowl prediction...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Feb 1, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Score - Pittsburgh 31, Arizona 13

MVP - Willie Parker

How the game will play out - Pittsburgh runs for over 150 total yards and controls the clock. Arizona, when they have success moving the ball, finds trouble inside the 20 due to a lack of a running game. Pittsburgh will have a 10-point lead in the third quarter, and Arizona will have a couple of bad turnovers that will help expand the lead.

Probably a boring game to the casual fan.

Parker, 120 yards rushing and two TDs.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Re: Your Super Bowl predciction...

I predict that the team that scores the most points will win.

That bit of sarcasm aside, I believe that the Cardinals win and they win by at least 10 points.

There's been a lot of richly deserved talk about Larry Fitzgerald in the last 13 days. What I haven't heard is much of anything about Anquan Boldin. I think he has a huge game and will be named the game's MVP.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Pittsburgh - 34
    Arizona - 24

MVP: Ben Roethlisberger

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Cardinals.

MVP -- Fitzgerald.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't have a predciction, I do have a prediction:

Cards by at least two touchdowns. MVP, the old guy. The Hall of Famer.

Cripes, Devil, I thought it was your ankle screwed up, not your fingers!

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Edgerrin James?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fixed.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Pittsburgh 24, Arizona 14. Every Steelers game I've seen this year is the same kind of game as the last (excruciatingly dull), and I don't expect this to be far different.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I stand by my original pick last week.

Arizona 31, Pittsburgh 27.

I LOVED Arizona +7 earlier. I "like very much" the Cardinals +6.5.

Here's what I just am not understanding about all of the Pittsburgh Steelers love here. They win slopfest against similiar 'grind it out' teams. In January, they beat an 8-8 San Diego team and then got through a Joe Flacco-led Ravens squad. Both at home.

I just don't see this team as the 1986 Giants as so many apparently do. I would put the Steelers as a 'middle of the pack' Super Bowl team, compared with the SB participants of the past decade. Not great but not flawed.

Here's why I like Arizona:
    - Warner is 8-2 in playoffs and ALWAYS shows up to play in the post-season.
    - Now Warner has the best receiver in the NFL in Fitzgerald. Warner has more targets/weapons/talent than Philip Rivers did and more of everything than Joe Flacco did.
    - Warmer weather. It won't be a Pennsylvania slopfest at Heinz.
    - Pittsburgh feeling the pressure of being a favorite. Arizona is already playing with house money and I think they'll be looser.
    - The Whisenhunt factor. As the offensive coordinator with Pittsburgh, his job was not only to find the best places to put his offensive players but also to mask their weaknesses from opponents. He will know how to make Roethlisberger uncomfortable. Wiz already knows the blueprint and where the deficiencies are in so many of his former players.

EDIT: Crummy grammar. Reason #759 why I'm no longer in print...:)

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Prediction?.......Paiiiiinnn......

[​IMG]

Sorry, had to..... :p

11. I plan to make the following bets:

Tease Steelers plus over (Steelers -1 and 40.5 over)
    Tease Steelers plus under (Steelers -1 and 52.5 under)
    Tease Cards plus over (Cards +13 and 40.5 over)
    Tease Cards plus under (Cards +13 and 52.5 under)

Cards moneyline +$210

I think it will be a close game and by doing those teases it creates a 12 point window where the Steelers can win by 2 to 12 points and the total score can fall between 41 and 52 points. If the final score falls within those windows - then I win all four teaser bets. I want to point out that this strategy worked two years ago when the Colts played the Bears.

You are guaranteed to win at least one of the four bets and half the time you win two (making it basically a no bet - just juice). Taking the Cardinals and the moneyline is insurance to basically eliminate the risk involved with an Arizona victory.

I also plan to take heads in the coin toss and take Kurt Warner (-24 yards) to have more passing yards than Big Ben.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Evil -- What about that prop bet about how many pounds Jennifer Hudson weighs these days and how long it will take her to sing then national anthem?

And I'm also wondering what the odds are that she'll tell Ben Roethlisberger that she doesn't like living under his spotlight before she takes the stage.......

Draft saved Draft deleted