1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Super Bowl memories

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Feb 3, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think I did this last year, but what the hell. Got any good Super Bowl memories? share them here!

My first Super Bowl memory is seeing Lynn Swann's catch in one of the cowboys-Steelers games. I don't think I saw it live.

I remember my dad waking me up after Super Bowl XIV to tell me the Steelers won. Had no idea until years later how close the 9-7 Rams came to upsetting the dynastic Steelers.

The first Super Bowl I watched in its entirety was Super Bowl XV. Big deal, that was, getting to stay up til 9:30 on a school night at the age of seven.

My favorite Super Bowl is probably Super Bowl XXV, when I was a high school senior and four of us crammed into my best buddy's bedroom (hey-o). It was me, a big-time football fan, and the three other guys had anywhere from casual interest to none at all in sports. But when Scott Norwood lined up for the game-winner, the guy who hated sports and always griped how athletes were taking away scholarships from people who deserved them yelled "this is awesome!"

(T-minus five posts and counting til Boomer starts waxing poetic about this year's game :D)

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

First one I remember was the Giants stomping of the Broncos. The next year, during the Redskins' mammoth second quarter, I walked out of the house and played football in the street with some buddies.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

1977. best. ever. raiders v. vikings.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I was rooting hard for the Orange Crush in 1978.

Yikes.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I notice you haven't mentioned the Ravens-Giants game yet. :D

6. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Mine usually end with me waking up at 2 a.m. and watching the highlights on SportsCenter. After this post, I will not remember much at all. Good night, folks.

7. JR

JR Active Member

First one I remember was, to no one's surprise, the first one.

Watched it on a glorious black and white TV

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My pops was stationed at Fort Irwin, in California, for Supe III. He was the only guy from Queens in a bar full of non-New Yorkers. He placed a bet on the Jets while the rest of the bar put money on the Colts. At the end of the night, he walked out with a lot of cash.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Easy, BYH. Super Bowl XXXVIII: New England 32, Carolina 29.

I brought the girlfriend of three months home to meet the family for the first time. I told my brother-in-law and sister all about her over Christmas break. Everyone was excited to meet her, and she was, rightfully, a little nervous about meeting them. But I assured her everything would be fine.

I told my brother-in-law she really likes Captain Morgan, her favorite drink being run and coke. So he bought her a big bottle and crossed off the Morgan and put her name, making it her bottle. We get to his house about an hour before the game and start drinking. Heavily. I'm downing Coors Light after Coors Light and she's chugging the most potent rum and cokes ever made; my brother-in-law wanted to see how much she liked the drink, apparently.

We watched the game on and off while testing out the arcade basketball set-up -- the one where you shoot free throws during a running clock -- and the bumper pool table in the back room of the basement. We settled in that room during halftime, missing the "wardrobe malfunction," with my little brother. I brought what had to have been my eighth or ninth beer, and she brought her sixth tall rum and coke. She took a seat by the pool table while my brother and I played three games. After each game, she sank a little deeper into the drunken state -- both in mind and in appearance. She was falling asleep with drink in hand by the end of the second game. Finally, after the third game, she was all but done; she couldn't speak coherently, couldn't sit up or stand.

I ended up carrying her up the stairs and got her ready for bed at 9 p.m., and I told my brother-in-law I'd be back in a couple minutes. I took her into the bathroom, where she began to throw up everything she ate and drank that afternoon into evening. I held her hair back, caught some friendly fire on my clothes, brushed her teeth and washed her face. Then I brought her into the guest room where we were camping for the night and I asked her if she wanted to go to bed. She nodded yes, but was completely helpless. So I got the clothes out her bag and began to undress her. Off comes the shirt and the pants, and on go the shirt and the pants. I rolled her onto the left side of the bed, pull the sheets up and ask her how she's feeling. She mumbled an unintelligible sound and I laughed. Then I tell her I'd be back to check on her every couple minutes to make sure she's OK. I go to kiss her forehead, and she smacks me in the face, telling me, as clear as day, "Go away." So I did.

I figured I was only gone for about a half-hour and could still see the end of the fourth quarter. When I got downstairs, the game was over, some people were leaving and what my brother-in-law said was "the best ending to a Super Bowl I've ever seen" had passed. So, now completely sober, I begin to drink again. And between random check-ups on the girl, I drank with the remaining guests until they left and my brother-in-law was tired.

At 3:30 a.m., I decided to call it a night and slipped into the right side of the bed, right next to my near-comatose, drunkenly-abusive girlfriend. I'm a little upset with her, but aside from drinking a little slowly or less -- and I wasn't going to tell her to alter her rhythm -- she couldn't help her actions. As soon as I get comfortable, she wakes up and says, "Wow. I feel really good. What happened?"

She still loves hearing that story. Even her dad got a kick out of it -- once he was able to move past us sharing a bed.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's some story, Mikey. and you are quite the gentleman.

You'll make some dying woman lucky woman very happy some day.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What can I say? I'm the real-life Ted The Lawyer, the resident sad sack of SportsJournalists.com.

12. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Scott Norwood....aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted