1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Super Bowl memories

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Feb 4, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Posting about the 1990 Bills reminded me of when three friends and I crammed into my best friend's bedroom (hey-ooooooo) for Super Bowl XXV. Two of the guys weren't big football fans, and one in particular really didn't like sports, but the excitement of the game captivated everyone. I remember the four of us gripping our chairs as Norwood lined up for the game-winning attempt.

I think it was also the first time I didn't watch the game at home, so that was pretty cool. The first time the Super Bowl was a real social event to me.

Your memories?

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Fraternity house had a huge Packers fan, and he was the biggest douche under the roof.

After every Denver score, we'd blast "Rocky Mountain High" by John Denver so he could hear it in the other room.

It got more fun as the points piled up and up and up.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

For some reason, I remember "The Winner Takes It All" being played during the credits after San Francisco beat the Bengals in Super Bowl XVI.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Mark my words: Something extraordinarily freaky and memorable is going to happen tonight, something that will be talked about on SportsJournalists.com in 2035 and beyond ...

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Patriots beating the Rams.

Remember, I'm 17.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

First one, sitting around with my dad at his best friend's house waiting for the game to begin and watching it with them. Both of them dead within a month of the game.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My first Super Bowl was Redskins-Broncos, 1988. I was a month away from turning 6. We were living in Maryland and I was a huge Redskins fan until we moved away a year later.

Inexplicably, everyone at my parents' Super Bowl party thought the 'Skins had no chance. I remember them all rationalizing that Elway deserved to win anyway because he had lost the year before. And hell, that was before they went down 10-0.

I was the only one who continued to root for the Redskins. I was vindicated. :D

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Geez. That sucks.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. It does. I remember watching Namath in III near tears thinking how much my dad would have enjoyed that game.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

giants-bills super bowl. i'm watching with my wife and friends at home 'cause my paper was on strike. my 10-month-old son is in his rocking seat when stephen baker catches a td pass from jeff hostetler. the room erupts.

my son starts screaming bloody murder, scarred for life.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

gosh, am i old. i wrote the gamer on that game.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

The first Super Bowl I ever watched was Super Bowl XV, Raiders over Eagles. It was a huge deal to be up til 10 in the second grade.

The first Super Bowl I remember knowing about was Super Bowl XIV, when I woke up in the middle of the night and went into my parents' room to ask my dad who won. Mom wasn't thrilled. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted