1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your story on their site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 13, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That happens to us all the time with the local community college. I've never considered it too big of a deal, though, since they include the byline and name of our newspaper with the pilfered article. I've thought of mentioning this, but our newspaper is tight with the administration at the college, and I doubt they'd want to ruffle any feathers.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Breaky's right. Pasting your story is flat wrong. Linking is fine.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's weak. Grow a pair and mention it.

4. Your paper's site should have a copyright policy prohibiting C&P'ing articles without consent. That should do all the talking for you.

Another way to go about it is to see if your site has specific RSS feeds that teams can implement on their site, or if the staff can create feeds. It's less work for them in terms of updating content since headlines appear automatically, and all the clicks go to your paper.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I still say quit covering them. the guys you send out to staff their games will thank you.
    Or hire the law firm Dewey, Cheatem and How to get a cease and desist order.
    Or ask them to link, not copy and paste.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There are some sites where it won't let you highlight anything so it can be copied. Wonder how long it'll be before that practice is common with newspaper sites?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

About as long as it takes for papers to stop offering all the content in that day's edition for free online. Which is to say ... don't hold your breath.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm going to mention to the team PR guy tomorrow that I think it would be a good idea for them to stop the cut-and-paste stuff before "one of my bosses notice." Link us? fine idea.

9. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I was told that as soon as we publish (either in print or on-line), everything is public domain and is fair game. Thoughts??

10. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Whoever told you that has exactly zero knowledge of copyright laws.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hope the person who told you that isn't in the newspaper biz because s/he apears to be clueless.

12. moonlight

moonlight Member

A simple cease and desist letter from your company's attorney ought to suffice. It's worked for my paper when this has happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted