1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your story on their site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 13, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

So the Web site of an area "pro" team, and I use that phrase lightly, is posting our game coverage on their Web site.

Without permission, at least from me. I assume no one else in this shop gave permission, or I would have heard about it.

Thoughts?

I might have said OK if they'd asked in advance, but now I'm inclined to ask them to stop.

2. subhead

subhead Member

They should get permission, but curious, how's the attribution? They post the text etc. or just link a headline?

3. HejiraHenry

They're doing a cut-and-paste off our Web site.

4. With or without a byline?

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i would tell them it's fine to use the story, so long as they provide a link to your site with the story instead of copying and pasting it. that way they get the story on their site, and your web site gets the views.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'd stop covering them.teach them a lesson.

7. Hell, tell them that for $3,000 you'll "re-write" the story just for their website.

8. HejiraHenry

Heh. Not sure what that lesson would be, really.

I'm not mad at them at all ... just trying to make sure we're covering ourselves properly.

Break's ideer may be the best.

9. Pops

Pops Member

Tell them to put the byline on it, but also check with your higher-ups, who might have a problem with your stuff on their site in general.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

they can't copy and paste your "stuff" without permission. it's not legal.

linking? that's a different beast that's fair game.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Other than potential volume of readers, how is this different from clipping it out of the paper and tacking it up on their bulletin board?

12. Babs

Babs Member

It's a lot different because Henry's paper will lose page views by people reading it at the team's site instead of his own. That's loss of advertising dollars. My shop does not allow online reprints for this very reason. And if someone searches on "Joe Schmoe, Team Podunk" you want as many of those matches coming your way, not theirs.

Draft saved Draft deleted