1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your state's high school football playoff system

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Nov 3, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Was in western kansas.
    Snap came from around the 25
    We all do narrows out here.
    Had to laugh at your knickers suggestion
    On 8-man 80 yard fields, I'm always 20 back. 11-man...25.
    And was Friday night
    Lol

MileHigh likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I’ll throw in Arkansas, a smaller state with a buttload of state championships. State goes 7A to 2A based on enrollment 9-11 averaged over a 3-year period. 7A and 6A have 16 teams each split into two conferences (so they rival parts of Texas for travel). 5A is four conferences of 8 teams each, the only class with an ideal setup. The remainder are 48 or so teams in six-team conferences per class, so fifth-place teams make the playoffs (a few actually do win in the first round, like Salem a year ago) and two lucky conference champs get byes.

You can add eight-man to the mix this year, a move I like. State started a pilot program this year with seven teams and it seemed a success.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

HS playoff football sucks unless at least one round is played in driving snowstorms.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Coldest I have ever been in my life was in 2016 State Championship game. Rained, sleeted, snowed for most of the week before the game. Night before, it was a driving ice storm.
    Entire field was played in a field of what was basically Sonic ice.
    During the game, it would rain more
    ......problem is when it would stop raining, the wind would kick up to about 20 and just freeze you even more.
    Guys at the stadium, we will never forget......took our gear at halftime and put all of it in his clothes dryer for 10 minutes.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In my day in HS (the early-mid 70s), playoffs were still in their early infancy (4 classes, 4 teams per class), so the regular season didn't end until the second Friday in November, and it snowed earlier in those days, so the last 2 games were often played in sleet or snow.
    When i was a sophomore on JV, our final game was played in 2-4 inches on the field pregame, and probably another 4 fell during the game.

The home school used a snowblower to mark out the goal lines and the 10 yard lines, and that was it.

It was like playing on a field of cotton balls. What a blast.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'll put this here because there is more serious stuff to talk about on the fire thread than football ... but the California playoffs are going to be a mess. At least two sections in the Bay Area have postponed first/second round games a week because the smoke is so bad from the Chico fire. State playoffs might get bumped at least a week as section champions won't be decided. State org will meet tomorrow to sort it out. I can't imagine what is going on in the Southern Section right now.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

My coldest game was in Pahokee, Fla., of all places, in December of '88. In the 40s -- cold for South Florida – with a fierce wind coming off Lake Okeechobee. Pahokee was a passing team and lost because it couldn't throw into the wind in the fourth quarter. I didn't think I'd ever warm up.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

All CIF-SS brackets are on schedule. Will see what happens with home games this week in the CIF's dumb-ass process of awarding home games.

Division I: Oaks Christian
    Division II: Notre Dame/Sherman Oaks and Calabasas
    Division IV: Camarillo
    Division VI: Oxnard

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Are they still doing high seed gets a home game in the first round then it's coin flips/if you were on the road in the previous round you get a home game?

I'm a little surprised they are still on track.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

High seed gets first-round home game. Subsequent rounds: Team with fewest home games gets to host. If tied, then it's a stupid coin flip when it should go to the higher seed. Then again, it's a 600-school Goliath that needs to be broken up about four ways.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The refs wear wide stripes out here in the SEK. Get with the times.
    Kansas used to have a similar thing except that instead of a coin toss, the final tie breaker was whichever school was farther east or west, direction depending on round (east second round, west third round, swap the next year). People believed that they measured distances by the school's flagpole, but I was never able to confirm what they used.

Draft saved Draft deleted