1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your state's high school football playoff system

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Nov 3, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You could easily extend the range of the San Diego Section to El Centro and merge LA and Orange County schools into a conference, no?
    Needles also plays in the Nevada association, but wonder why they don't join Arizona with rivals like Kingman and Lake Havasu City nearby. When I worked in Havasu, they were put in a conference with schools from the Phienix area.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think cutting down from 8 divisions to 7 or 6 would help. Bigger sections should make is harder to qualify and therefore less likely a 0-7 or 1-6 gets in.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

My buddy was a grad asst at Le Verne about 15-20 years ago. One season they had to play at St John's (Minn) in the playoffs.
    Even if SJ wasn't a great team with a legendary coach, he said he knew they were done when they got off the plane and kids
    started talking about how cold it was.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When they started this format six years ago, there were just six divisions. They expanded to eight two or three years ago. I'd like if they went back to six, but I remember some 2-5 teams qualifying back then.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

RHODE ISLAND (this is gonna make y'all laugh).
    First thing we do is we split our 44 teams up in four different divisions based on success, not school size. They realign every two years.
    In Division I, there are 14 teams. This year, because the state's top two private schools have played each other for the state title every year for the last six and a public school hasn't won since 2009, the RIIL split D-I into two seven team divisions and said the first-place finish in each would automatically go to the state final and the next four teams in each division would play for the Division I title. On paper, it was brilliant until this one big public school that's been rebuilding for the last six years, turned themselves into the second best team in the state. Because they lost to the best private school (three point game) in the regular season, they won't get to play for a state title. Instead, they get to the play for the D-I title.
    Division II is a 14-team, two division set up. Top four from each make the playoffs.
    Division III and Division IV are seven team divisions where the top four make the playoffs.
    Yes, we have 44 teams and now have FIVE Super Bowls.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Welll, now I know to never be impressed if a recruit to my favorite program includes "led his Rhode Island high school to a Super Bowl win" in his bio.

Batman, Rhody31 and maumann like this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Kwity Paye at Michigan is pretty impressive

Hermes likes this.
  8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If it’s the actual state championship, yes.
    If it’s one of the others, no.
    We’ve got an o-lineman going to Georgia and it’s comical watching him play here. I tracked runs to his side during a game and his team averaged like 15 a pop. Every play is pure destruction.
    It gets even more fun at the lower levels when you get a kid with decent talent. We had a kid playing in the worst division that went D3 college. His senior year here’s he ran for like 2900 yards.

Hermes likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Southern Section was too big 30 years ago when there were 380 schools. It's a joke now. Should have been broken up decades ago. The I.E. can have its own section. The O.C. can have its own. Break off San Gabriel Valley/Pasadena and the Ventura area.

My brother is an A.D. and three years ago for a playoff game, his volleyball team had to go to SLO for a playoff game. Asked to move it up to 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. since it was a school night. Nope.

Got home at 2 a.m.

Year before that, had to go to Mammoth for a playoff game.

It's too big. There's too much travel. It's all cheese championships. But it won't change because, as usual, there's too many Benjamins involved.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One thing the CIF has done right in the last few years is seeding some Central Section teams in the NorCal bracket in football, volleyball and both basketballs. Traditionally, they'd been in the SoCal bracket and were, more often than not, cannon fodder for schools south of the Grapevine in the first round. Also eases travel. And most of the San Joaquin Valley, geographically (and in the eyes of the juco association) lies with NorCal.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I may be outing myself here, and I dont care.....I was backjudge in this game last night. You gotta see this catch.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Where is this at? A couple of things.

Seriously? Narrow stripes? Is this from 2008? No white knickers?

What the hell is your H doing coming in off the sideline? This is your call. You don't need his head nodding confirmation.

This was snapped from what I can guess from the 25. Goal line. Stay on it. Your H is wayyyyyyy too over-eager and needs to stay in his lane.

Narrow stripes?

Draft saved Draft deleted