1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your sports bucket list

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One note, just to counteract those who say that following Tiger Woods for a round is overrated.

Probably that is the case today. And, yes, it's a pain in the ass. Or can be.

But I did it at the Western Open in 1997 or '99, whenever the gallery chased him down the 18th fairway like he was the pied piper. That was pretty amazing.

2. Mira

Mira Member

Done that:

-- Wrigley (Cubs vs. Brewers)
    -- Fenway
    -- Rose Bowl

Wish list:

-- Lambeau (will happen someday, since I live in Wisconsin)
    -- F1 race (preferably Monaco or Sao Paolo)
    -- Indy 500
    -- British Open
    -- Any major at Whistling Straits

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm not even talking about how he interacts with the media and fans during the round. I'm talking about fighting the thousands of other donks who are hellbent on getting a glimpse of the great Tiger Woods. Those galleries I faced were 50 deep. I think I made it through about 8 or 10 holes before calling it quits. I saw him hit a golf ball maybe a half-dozen times. In fairness, I'm short, so that definitely worked against me, but still. The crowds were unreal.

I followed around Mike Weir and Chris DiMarco and it was a WAY better experience than trying to follow Tiger. Hell, Weir's parents were walking and talking with us for about four or five holes. Lovely people. Plus, I got to see them hit every shot. Up close and personal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So you're saying you've been to Alabama-Auburn, Georgia-Florida, Florida-Florida State, Oregon-Oregon State, Texas-Oklahoma, Oklahoma-Oklahoma State, Notre Dame-Southern Cal, UCLA-Southern Cal, Utah-BYU, Stanford-Cal, Clemson-South Carolina, LSU-Arkansas ... ?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There's no point in a bucket list that presumes immortality.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

DiMarco is an awesome guy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Hoist the Memorial Cup.

Came within sixty minutes of doing it... :(

Would love to get a chance to play Augusta once.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One's I've been fortunate enough to see...

College football rivalries...

Florida-Georgia
    Alabama-Auburn
    Florida State-Miami
    Florida-Tennessee
    Oklahoma-Nebraska
    Texas-Oklahoma
    Stanford-Cal
    UCLA-USC
    Notre Dame-USC
    Michigan-Notre Dame

Stadiums/Arenas - I always loved the really cool stadiums and arenas, usually much moreso than the event I was covering there...

Lambeau
    Wrigley
    Fenway
    Camp Randall
    Ben Hill Griffin Stadium
    Tiger Stadium
    Memorial Stadium (Lincoln, Nebraska)
    Jordan-Hare Stadium
    Kinnick Stadium
    Cameron Indoor Stadium
    Rupp Arena
    Hinkle Fieldhouse
    Assembly Hall
    Harmon Gym
    Folsom Field
    Rosenblatt Stadium
    Madison Square Garden
    Boston Garden
    Pauley Pavilion
    Rose Bowl
    Notre Dame Stadium

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I've had a sports bucket list and crossed off.. oh... Maybe half...

One thing I'm learning, though.... Once you've attended these big events as a member of the media, attending as a fan suuuuucks. So I really don't know if I'll ever get to everything on my sports bucket list. It's aiight. I have other bucket lists. :)

If I go to a golf event as a fan, for example, I walk in the gates and go, "Get me inside the fucking ropes."

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

For me, it's the opposite. Granted, I didn't cover many "big" sporting events when I was in newspapers, but of the ones I did cover, I've enjoyed them much more as a fan.

I covered a handful of games at Tennessee when one of our local athletes was a starting wide receiver there. And while it was pretty fun, I'd much rather go back as a fan.

Way more enjoyable as a fan.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm with you. I don't like the fan experience. It's never worth the price of admission for me.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I have really enjoyed being a fan again. Sure. it's more costly. But being able to just relax and watch an event without worrying about how I will chronicle it has been great. I like letting someone else worry about that stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted