1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your sports bucket list

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Mine may seems pedestrian compared to some on here but have knocked off a couple.

Saw Spurs vs Pacers at Canseco Fieldhouse, fave player (Tim Duncan) in an awesome building, also drove to the Larry Bird car dealership in Fremch Lick to buy a license plate holder.

Game at Staples even though I hate the Lakers.

I lucked into tix to the Bledsoe cup in Auckland, All Blacks vs the Wallabies, saw the Haka performed live on New Zealand soil.

Biggest regret - not doing the quick hop over to Vancouver for the Olympics. I did not have tix but the vibe in the city was apparently awesome.

Still on list :
    - big fight in Vegas if boxing ever makes a comeback.
    - NBA finals at MSG, not a Knicks fan but think venue would be awesome.
    - Olympic final in 100 metres
    - big college football game, OSU vs Michigan or worlds biggest cocktail party
    - Kumate from Bloodsport

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Lions-Browns Super Bowl..... in 2075.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

-- Watch the Brewers clinch a World Series.
    -- See the remaining baseball stadiums I've not been to.
    -- Attend an entire World Cup.
    -- Attend a game as a fan at Lambeau Field (been there many times on the job)
    -- Attend a game as a fan at Camp Randall Stadium (been there for job, but not for UW football)
    -- Attend a game at Elland Road, preferably a derby match. Preferably a match against Manchester United when Leeds returns to the EPL.
    -- Attend a game at any English ground.
    -- Attend a game at any German ground (where they still use terracing, etc.)
    -- Attend a F1 race at Spa, Monza, Silverstone, Monaco or Montreal (I have driven the Gilles Villeneuve circuit ... in our old minivan!)

One I will knock out soon ...

-- Cover a game outside the continental United States.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Can we do a "things I've done that totally need to be on everyone else's bucket list" thread?

is awesome in so many ways. Experience it one year in the stadium, then try again another year at the Landing. Seeing the UGa ladies dressed like they're on their way to a fancy party and the UF ladies dressed like they're heading to a bar at the beach. Iron Bowl with a 50/50 ticket split (as was mentioned above) may be gone but the cocktail party with half Bulldog fans and half Gator fans lives on.

17th is awesome. Now that the Buick Open is no more and the PGA tour will no longer see the 17th at Warwick, the 17th in Ponte Vedra is the best hole in golf. Great during the tournament, but also great on Wednesday of tournament week when the caddies play it. I've also had the chance to cover a group from Wounded Warriors Project play a round at TPC and 17 was the one hole they were looking forward to playing.

America's Cup would be cool, but I think Chicago to Mackinac or Port Huron to Mackinac might be more fun. I covered a warm-up race the week before Chicago to Mackinac one year in Menominee/ Marinette (got to be on the judges boat) and I was on the island this past summer the day after the boats came in from Chicago.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

- Alabama in a national championship game (many opportunities, but I'm poor)
    - Wrestlemania (preferably outdoors, maybe Orlando)
    - Monday Night Raw (attended a Nitro, so you know, both ends of the spectrum)
    - Talladega (lived less than four hours away my whole life but didn't follow racing until recently)
    -Agame at Wrigley (went when I was 3 so it don't count)

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Following Woods for a round? You must like to be abused... :D

I don't there are too many that I missed out on, although I do kind of wish I had enjoyed them a little more...

1. Army-Navy game... I had tickets as a fan several years ago, but for various reasons, we didn't make the game.
    2. Michigan-Ohio State... These are probably the only of the big college football rivalries that I haven't seen firsthand.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Following Tiger for a round is one of the most overrated things on any person's bucket list. Then again, it might be easier now, but when I tried it back in 2009, it was damn near impossible. Just exhausting.

8. Mizzougrad96

Agreed. I did it early in his career when he was playing terribly and he was such an asshole to the media, fans etc...

I did it a few years later at The Masters when he won and he was just as shut off. Very rude or at least cold to fans... It was pretty stunning to see with someone who one would think would have had all of the media training in the world, and at least at this point, I think he was still being portrayed as a saint by most of the media.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

1. Travers Stakes
    2. British Open
    3. Oklahoma-Nebraska in Norman
    4. Breeders Cup
    5. World Cup
    6. Pacquiao-Mayweather

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It would be more interesting to follow Tiger into a Perkins.

- Kirkpinar at Istanbul

11. Mizzougrad96

I'll echo the "Cocktail Party" as something everybody needs to do...

There are so many "traditions" in college football that people just gush and gush about that when you see you just kind of roll your eyes and think, "What's the big deal about that?"

The Cocktail Party is just so cool. You would think that it would have lost its luster when Spurrier was beating Georgia almost every year and people were considering Tennessee and Florida State the two biggest games on Florida's schedule, but that atmosphere in Jacksonville is just awesome.

Others: See a night game at LSU. Go to a big game at Nebraska. Jump around in Madison. Watch Ralphie Run. See UGA up close. Duke-UNC at Cameron. A big game at Rupp.

In the Pros it's all the places everyone mentions: Lambeau, Wrigley, Fenway...

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Some things on other people's lists here that I've done, that make me feel very fortunate:

- Wrigley Field day game. A lot.
    - Indianapolis 500. A lot.
    - Sugar Bowl.
    - USC at Notre Dame.
    - Follow Tiger Woods for a round.
    - MLB All-Star Game.

Some things I'd like to do, top of my head:
    - Some SEC games. Friend and I have always talked about going on a tour one fall - just knock out a bunch of them week after week after week for a bout 6-8 weeks. Greatest fall ever.
    - Kentucky Derby
    - Fenway Park.
    - The Masters. (Have been to the U.S. Open and PGA Championship. Not the same.)
    - Duke-North Carolina at Cameron
    - Attend every game at the Maui Invivational some year
    - British Open (golf)
    - NASCAR races at some of the deep south signature tracks, probably Talladega and Martinsville

Don't care about the Super Bowl (always like the championship games better, and I've been to one). Don't care that much about the Final Four. World Series? I was at Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS. No World Series can compare. And, also, see Super Bowl parenthetical. Kind of feel the same way.

Participatory bucket list
    - Qualify for Boston
    - Run Boston
    - Complete an Ironman

Draft saved Draft deleted