1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your sports bucket list

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. British Open
    2. Wimbledon
    3. Would like to go to Talladega someday, but I may be getting too old if I don't hurry.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm going to The Masters for a practice round in April. Good enough to cross it off the list.
    I want to see Wrigley and Fenway.
    An Olympic event
    A Super Bowl
    An overtime game in the NHL playoffs
    A spring training Grapefruit League marathon
    A Final Four. I don't care about the title game as much as the Final Four Saturday.
    Army/Navy, Harvard/Yale, Alabama/Auburn in Tuscaloosa

I've been able to cross off:
    Cameron Indoor for a game while the students are in town (Would still like to see Duke play UNC-CH at Cameron)
    The Bristol night race
    Talladega

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I actually made a list like this not long after I started and I've been fortunate enough to cross off most things. Remaining:

*The Masters
    *Winter Olympics

Every time I gripe, which I do a lot lately, I try to remind myself it was a lot of fun for a long time. Summer Olympics, Final Four, Daytona 500, Kentucky Derby, Preakness, World Series (and other baseball playoff games), a Super Bowl (and a couple of other football playoffs), major bowl games. Been to Wrigley, been to Fenway (never been to Lambeau). Covered events in just about every state including Hawaii and abroad in Canada, England and Australia. I did one of those stadium tour things on Facebook and a young man I know wrote me and said "DAMN MAN." I just wish I'd take time to appreciate it more while I was doing it.

Now my old washed-up ass is hearing "Glory Days" in my worthless head as I type this. "They'll pass you by."

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I feel exactly the same way Moddy. I got to do just about everything that's been posted on this thread, most of 'em more than once. I was really unhappy and bitter when I was separated from newspaper work. Now I just feel grateful and humbled at having gotten to do it for as long as I did. I had the best seat in the house for an awful lot of big-time sports history.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

= Army game at Michie (Army-Navy game would be great too)
    = All 4 Grand Slam finals in the same year
    = USC at Alabama football (if it ever happened); would settle for USC at Georgia or Ole Miss or Death Valley
    = Man U vs. Man City
    = Kings at Nordiques (oh, wait)
    = British Open
    = Floor seats for the Lakers at Knicks
    = Dodgers at Yankee Stadium and Fenway
    = Zamboni driver for Game 7 of the Stanley Cup
    = Cricket between the Windies and Pakistan
    = Aboard an America's Cup yacht the day it wins

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Kentucky Derby
    Indy 500
    Opening Day in Cincinnati
    Game at the Rose Bowl
    Canadiens home game, with French fluency to match
    ACC Tournament before it gets completely ruined
    Weekend series at Miss. St. in the Left Field Lounge

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Calgary Stampede

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'd like to see one game at every MLB park. Knocked out about 12 so far.

Game at LSU's Death Valley. I plan to knock this out whenever Mizzou gets the honor of going down there for a whoopin.

Army-Navy. Just awesome.

EPL game.

NHL overtime playoff game

World Cup

Olympic Games

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The first thing I thought of with this thread are experiences that I wish I had but are lost to history.

Iron Bowl with 50/50 ticket split
    Early/middle rounds of single-class Hoosier Hysteria
    Game at Boston Garden
    Title bout at MSG

10. turski7

turski7 Member

Super Bowl and World Series game stateside.
    Internationally, a World Cup match (preferably the final), Barca vs. Madrid (Messi vs. Ronaldo) and an All Blacks rugby match.
    Also the Olympics.

I was able to experience a soccer riot when Barca won the La Liga title in '05 and saw the parade the next day. Very cool. Also saw a cricket match in Australia featuring the Aussies and India, the two best teams in the sport. It was a test series and just a laid back atmosphere. Had some Indian guy explain what the hell was going on. I was shocked they actually had a tea and lunch break during the match.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

- Late FA Cup or Champions League match at Old Trafford (I've been there and taken the tour, but not on game day).
    - U.S. Nationals
    - Indy 500
    - F1 race (preferably Monaco, Spa, Silverstone, Monza or Hockenheim)
    - Tour de France on Alpe d'Huez 2-3 days with the Dutch fans

U.S. Nationals and Indy 500 will happen (assuming nothing happens to me and the world doesn't end in a couple of weeks). The others are truly dreams.

From a participation standpoint, I have a goal of running the Disney Marathon ... if my first marathon doesn't kill me next April.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

- A bowl game that the Indiana Hoosiers legitimately participate in
    - USC at Notre Dame football
    - The Final Four, men's basketball
    - Soccer in Europe, preferably Italy or England

That's about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted