1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your small paper could be a reality star!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Jan 22, 2013.

1. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

If the product is anything at all like what it was when I worked there, that's going to be a very depressing, droll program. But they will have someone nicknamed "Pot Pie," so there's that. And of course the town stuck in its own delusions over the alien spiel.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Don't give them any ideas.

3. I'm guessing it all be a Gannett paper as several affiliates are owned by Gannett.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Tabloid Wars ... two episodes of following the crime reporter and other somewhat interesting folks who work their asses off, six episodes following the whiny 29-year-old gossip reporter who attends celebrity raves so A&E can show famous people partying.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Pot Piener" and "Boooooooosh!" with references to "Spanky"

The title of the should probably be "Roswell is BOOMING!"

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Okay. Didn't realize that. Did you see the movie?

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

It would be like the opening of a "Police Squad" episode, a character would be cut in the opening credits.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And she also moonlights as a stripper.

9. writingump

writingump Member

If they pick a newspaper where J. Todd Foster's working, we know who'd become the star.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

This sounds like a good fit for a weekly paper. Every episode could be pegged to an edition.

What's going to be great is when Ruby Tuesday buys ad time and then insists the paper review them, even though the nearest restaurant is 75 miles away.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I've worked in some pretty small shops over the last couple of decades and can't think of anything interesting any of them could have used as a hook. A fat redneck waddling up to a pressbox for a soccer game with 27 people in attendance probably wouldn't be the most gripping thing they could find.

Three publications that gave me money to watch sports were five- or six-day-a-week operations where almost all of the newsroom staff were middle-aged women. I heard waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too many stories about adolescent daughters going through "the change."

At one of those places, located in farm country, our lead art one day was an overturned turnipsugar beet truck. This was also the shop that thought obtaining one of the first fax machines in town (in 1989 or so) was newsworthy.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The Hungry Horse News is a weekly newspaper with a circulation of 4,200. Published every Wednesday, the Hungry Horse News covers the community of Columbia Falls, Glacier National Park and the Flathead Valley.

The name dates back to 1900 when two freight horses, Tex and Jerry, were lost in the undeveloped South Fork of the Flathead River drainage. When found a month later in belly-deep snow, they were skin and bones — and very, very hungry. Today, Hungry Horse is the name of a creek, lake, mountain, town and hydroelectric dam.

http://www.flatheadnewsgroup.com/hungryhorsenews/

Draft saved Draft deleted