1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your small paper could be a reality star!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Hope it's better than "Tabloid Wars or "The Paper."

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Is this like that time one of my old papers got the brilliant idea to install 24/7 webcams in the newsroom? They thought people would tune in to see the, uhh, hustle and bustle of putting out the next day's paper (never mind that half the desks were empty after layoffs, even then.)

They made the mistake of placing the cameras near the sports department ... and turning on the audio.

First, they asked us to tone it down. OK, whatever, we'll try. But hey, we're trying to work back here.

Then they deactivated the audio. Apparently the sound emitting from the sports department wasn't exactly SFW, if you catch my drift.

Yeah, that experiment didn't last long.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Papers on basic cable try hard too.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Oh come on. You didn't like The Paper? Randy Quaid was a great reporter!

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"The Paper" was based on a bad business model. It should have been about "The Internet."

6. "The Paper" was also the name of an MTV reality show featuring a high school newspaper class in Florida.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can see the coming job postings. "Are you a go-getter? We want people who don't mind working long hours digging up the truth on holidays and weekends on their own time....beauty pageant and reality show experience a plus.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

They'd need a 60-second delay on most sports departments on prep football Friday nights. That'd be great TV, except for all of the beeps. It'd sound like one of those panel trucks backing up.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"Tune in next week as fists fly during the All-County selection meeting."

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Captain Not-So-Obvious.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"George, please pack your computer and go."

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Judging by the witty banter in most newsrooms, I'd name the show ...

"That's What She Said"

Draft saved Draft deleted