1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Simplest Life Pleasure?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Feb 17, 2020.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

So is this a memory you had and went looking for? Or just a random google search of Gary Redus highlights? FWIW: I have no memory of Super Slam...seemed very cool.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, I wanted to see if there were any Gary Redus videos on YouTube. The '80s of MLB was right in my wheelhouse.

It's funny that Gary Redus beat 2-time MVP Dale Murphy in a home run contest.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

ESPN ran old "Home Run Derby" episodes in the 80's where you saw Mickey Mantle v. Aaron (maybe), etc. That was cool.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

i remember watching those and then trying to recreate them with a whiffle ball and bat.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Those shows were awesome, filmed at Wrigley Field, 42nd and Avalon in South Central L.A. That's where the Angels played their first year, 1961. Hank Aaron just hanging out with Willie McCovey, etc. Dick Stuart sharing the microphone. A few neighborhood kids shagging balls in the outfield.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    qtlaw likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I remember Mickey Mantle being as dull as dirt during the interview portion.

Draft saved Draft deleted