1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Rookie of the Year ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would hesitate to say "easily." Bannister obviously, but also Guthrie, who might be the best rookie starter in the AL East.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Right now, I'd give Matsuzaka the edge for ROY over Guthrie. He's got six more wins and 69 more strikeouts, and he's a key cog on a playoff team's roster. Right now, Matsuzaka's got to be a favorite over Guthrie. Is he a better pitcher? Maybe, maybe not. But he's got the edge in numbers right now -- even with a higher ERA.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Guthrie is a top-3 pick, easily. Anyone who doesn't agree simply hasn't paid too much attention. And if he wins, then all the better, because from what I hear he's one of the best interviews in the AL East. He won't win, but anyone looking for a good feature would do well to speak with him.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Normally I would say wins being higher is not always the best judgement because Bannister and Guthrie pitch for the the Royals and Orioles. But frankly the Red Sox offense has sucked for large parts of the season and it has been their pitching staff that has carried them.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

ERA is more of a tell-all stat than any in pitching (see the SI players poll this week). Bannister is winning that one.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

AL
    Okajima, Willits, Buck
    NL
    Lincecum, Tulowitzki, Braun

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Didn't realize Papi, Manny = Alex Gordon, Nick Markakis

Red Sox have scored 652 runs this season, fourth-best in MLB. The Orioles (582) and Royals (575) rank 17th and 18th, respectively.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point. I guess it just seems like the Red Sox offense has sucked.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The Red Sox might have had some down stretches, but they're nowhere near the Royals or Orioles lineups.

Maybe compared to Yankees standard that Sox lineup is below average, which could be part of your confusion. ;)

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

What exactly makes Dice-K so much better than Bannister this year? Because he plays for a better team that gives him run support? Bannister, before his last start, was leading the American League in fewest runs in support per start. Less than four.

As for Pedroia, Gordon has more home runs, stolen bases and RBIs. Granted every thing has come in garbage time ... but he's also not far behind in runs scored on playing for an offensively-challenge team.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

This season, Dice-K's either been getting a ton of runs, or none at all. He should have 17 wins right now, easily.
    Still, I think Okajima's been the best rookie pitcher in baseball. He's one of the best setup men in the majors right now.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Hate the Brewers that much, huh?

::)

Draft saved Draft deleted