1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your prom song...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Or his remake of "I Swear".

2. Just for that, I'm rooting against Davidson.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, I know my early-90s country. I don't like the genre much anymore, but if you grow up in the South you can't avoid it completely. Just don't ask me about John Anderson and "Money in the Ba-ay-ay-ank" ... fucking hell.

And just like every high school girls basketball player's favorite movie since 2000 is invariably "Love and Basketball," every school dance from 1994 on has had a healthy dose of John Michael Montgomery. (The other one y'all didn't mention was the obvious: "Life's A Dance.")

I will go shoot myself now.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

At least you didn't go to college when every sorority wanted to cop "I Will Survive" as their theme song. Good times, hearing that song start at the campus bar and watching the dumbass sororities dancing and singing while throwing the evil eye to the other dumbass sororites who dared to dance and sing along.

I always hoped for a cat fight, but it never happened.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Every now and then, when my job takes me down south, I'll hop in my rental car and let the radio scan its way to the nearest country station. It's like an instant time warp. I never, ever listen to that stuff anymore, but in high school, where I grew up (rural West) the shit was ubiquitous. And without even understanding why, I'm bopping along, singing out loud to "Bigger Than The Beatles" by Joe Diffie or "My Heart Has a History" by Paul Brandt. (That reference to John Anderson's "Money in the Bay-yan-yan-k" just gave me and uncomfortable shiver.) Some of the songs are just awful, but some of them actually warm my heart a little. Like if I catch Hal Ketchum's "Heart Are Gonna Roll" or JoDee Messina's "Heads Carolina, Tails California" or, especially, "I Can Still Make Cheyenne" by George Strait, I start thinking about all those first crushes I had on frizzy-haired girls in jean shorts. They're lawyers and doctors now, oddly, and I'm like one of those dudes in a Toby Keith or Billy Ray Cyrus song, driving around, staring up at the moon, thinking about all those yesterdays.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Four words:

Small Town, Saturday Night.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Some country from that era is absolute bullshit.

But Hal Ketchum, I'll defend. Small Town, Sat. Night kicks ass.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Double Down you know, the world must be flat.

'Cause when people leave town they don't ever come back.

Great effin song.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Jesus, that takes me back. Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted